Wheel Horse Decals

/ Wheel Horse Decals #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
I am planning my Winter project which will be repainting my Wheel Horse GT-1600.

Anyone know if there's a source for the decals that are on the hood, the safety decals, etc.?

What's on the tractor now are not true decals, like the kind I used to apply to plastic models in my youth. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Rather, they appear to be some kind of paper with a sticky backing. Some I might be able to mask and paint around, others will need replaced.

/ Wheel Horse Decals #2  
Hi Mike, did you try a Toro-Wheelhorse dealer for those decals? They may still be available. How old is it?

FWIW, before Toro took over Wheelhorses were made about a mile from where I'm sitting right now in South Bend, IN. Nothing but a building there now.

Sometime in the mid-70's I inherited an older Wheelhorse from my grandfather. No manuals or anything so I wrote a letter to Wheelhorse here in South Bend. Lo and behold, they sent me a copy of the owners manual and never asked a penny in return.

If your dealer can't help do some poking around on Ebay. There are a lot of folks making replacement decals for tractors, toys cars etc /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Wheel Horse Decals
<font color="blue"> Hi Mike...</font>
Morning, Rob. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue">did you try a Toro-Wheelhorse dealer for those decals?</font>
Not yet, I will call them this morning, since there are several other parts I need, none of which are needed to actually use the tractor, that are missing.

<font color="blue">How old is it?</font>
We bought it new in 1984. I still have the Owner's Manual as well as the Parts and Service Manual, so I will be able to supply all the original part numbers and descriptions.

<font color="blue"> FWIW, before Toro took over Wheelhorses were made about a mile from where I'm sitting right now in South Bend, IN. Nothing but a building there now. </font>
I just bought a new 42" rear discharge deck for the tractor and while I was picking it up, the dealer and I started talking about Wheel Horse. Toro only offers one Wheel Horse style garden tractor. The dealer mentioned that this year, Toro started offering a conversion kit that allows the use of some Wheel Horse attachments on Toro tractors. He surmised that this means Toro will soon end the Wheel Horse brand. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Wheel Horse Decals #4  
<font color="blue"> He surmised that this means Toro will soon end the Wheel Horse brand </font>

That's too bad. The Wheel Horse name strikes a very solid mental image to me, much more recognizable than Ranch King, Sabre, Yard Man and so many of the other lawn tractor names out there now. If I were king for a day at Toro I'd keep the Toro name for the smaller yard equipment (push mowers) and use the Wheel Horse name for the bigger stuff, including the Dingo. Maybe that's why I'm not king at Toro /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Wheel Horse Decals #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( He surmised that this means Toro will soon end the Wheel Horse brand. )</font>

Thats a shame !
I've had my Wheel Horse garden tractors as long as I can remember and they are still going strong.
One is a 1980, 10 HP, 8 speed.
The other is a early eighties 14 HP hydro.
A very good garden tractor, I hope to get many more years out of them.

/ Wheel Horse Decals #6  
I have a Toro Wheelhorse Classic 314-H. It is a tank. When I got my BX2200 I figured I would sell the Toro and have one less engine to worry about. But I have not made any attempts to sell it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the Gardenweb tractor forum they say that Toro has decided to discontinue the Classic series after this year.

Uhmmmm! Maybe they will appreciate as collector items so I should hold on to mine. You know, as an investment /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phil

/ Wheel Horse Decals
I called my local Wheel Horse dealer and I can get all but 2 of the 14 decals for my tractor for a total of $60! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The other 2 are no longer available. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Wheel Horse Decals #8  
While looking for vinyl registration numbers for our boat (internet) I found several companies that would make you whatever you wanted from a picture or drawing...cost depending on the detail required...just a thought...