An engine that winds over quite a bit befor starting up,

/ An engine that winds over quite a bit befor starting up, #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
We all have had engines that fire right up at the bump of the starter, Then we also have the ones that need to wind over 10 or more seconds before starting/running, I just so have one of those hard to start engines, It's the 17 hp B&S, donor engine from a wheel horse mower, when the engine was on the wheel horse there was only the throttle fast & slow, so when I transfered the engine over to the Zero turn this is the way I re-connect the throttle, there were no manual choke on the tractor or the zero turn, I just assumed that when starting it the throttle would need to be in fast full throttle position to activate an automatic choke, apparently over time the automatic choke can become stuck and no longer work correctly causing the engine to turn over longer, Although after removing the breather and looking more closely to the carburetor it has the provision to connect a manual cable to the choke/butterfly
and now the engine starts right up with the bump of the starter just as it should :thumbsup:...

I don't know if in the beginning the choke is a automatic and stops working after a while, but hooking a cable to make it a manual choke is the fix, Just thought I'd share this with anyone who might be having the same issue, Look into installing a manual choke cable,;)
I grabbed a video to better explain what I'm talking about,
http://youtu.be/J6ZPp3wDf0M

Last edited:
   / An engine that winds over quite a bit befor starting up,
We all have had engines that fire right up at the bump of the starter, Then we also have the ones that need to wind over 10 or more seconds before starting/running, I just so have one of those hard to start engines, It's the 17 hp B&S, donor engine from a wheel horse mower, when the engine was on the wheel horse there was only the throttle,
How Throttle and Choke Linkage is Setup on a Briggs 2 piece Carburetor (NEW ENGINE) - YouTube

Sorry Folks, I don't know why I wrote "wheel horse" when I know good and well the mower is a ( Toro work horse ):eek: