Toro Reelmaster 223-D rotary conversion

/ Toro Reelmaster 223-D rotary conversion #1  

Sullivanredneck

Tractor
Toro Reelmaster 223D
I acquired a old reelmaster 223-d mower, and after cleaning it up and making it run, I found it cuts way too short for my yard, cant make it cut any higher than about 1"

So, i started looking for a rotary deck to modify my tractor with.
I found a 72" lastec deck from a deere 1400 series that I picked up.

After doing a bit of pondering, I was thinking why not use the machines hydraulics to power the deck instead of trying to add a pto to the toro.

Anyone have any ideas of a good hydraulic motor to use, or if the pump on the machine has enough power to run a deck?

The pump in the toro is a webster triple pump, model 49913-6. still trying to find specs on it, although it is very similar to this unit:
34224 - WEBSTER TRIPLE PUMP 49913-7***

this is the deck I have 00h0h_f1FDB4atDhl_600x450.jpg01515_fXUTSOYFoP8_600x450-1.jpgIMG_0257.jpg

/ Toro Reelmaster 223-D rotary conversion #2  
Welcome to TBN :thumbsup:

Can't help with the hydraulic motor question, you may have to post it in the Hydraulic Forum: Hydraulics

The TORO Groundsmaster series are rotary deck, most of the newer ones are hydraulic powered.

There are a lot of TORO parts on eBay, do the search with and without the "s" in Groundsmaster.

I wonder if you could parallel two of the pump sections to run the deck motor?

The parts lists are available here: Toro |

You need to use the 5 digit model number on the serial number plate.

/ Toro Reelmaster 223-D rotary conversion
well, I did a bit of measuring and calculations, and figured out that with the pulley system on the deck I need to turn the gearbox on the deck at about 2000 rpm in order to get 17,000 fpm tip speed (the pulley on the gearbox is 1.3 times bigger in circumference than the blade pulleys, and the blades are 25" each) I did a bit of calculations on surplus centers website, and found that with 7gpm and 2000psi into a .75cu in motor, I will get about 2100 RPM and 240 IN/lbs or torque. Does my math sound right, and will it be enough power to run the mower deck for normal height grass?

I acquired a old reelmaster 223-d mower, and after cleaning it up and making it run, I found it cuts way too short for my yard, cant make it cut any higher than about 1"

So, i started looking for a rotary deck to modify my tractor with.
I found a 72" lastec deck from a deere 1400 series that I picked up.

After doing a bit of pondering, I was thinking why not use the machines hydraulics to power the deck instead of trying to add a pto to the toro.

Anyone have any ideas of a good hydraulic motor to use, or if the pump on the machine has enough power to run a deck?

The pump in the toro is a webster triple pump, model 49913-6. still trying to find specs on it, although it is very similar to this unit:
34224 - WEBSTER TRIPLE PUMP 49913-7***

this is the deck I haveView attachment 331927View attachment 331928View attachment 331929

/ Toro Reelmaster 223-D rotary conversion #5  
well, I did a bit of measuring and calculations, and figured out that with the pulley system on the deck I need to turn the gearbox on the deck at about 2000 rpm in order to get 17,000 fpm tip speed (the pulley on the gearbox is 1.3 times bigger in circumference than the blade pulleys, and the blades are 25" each) I did a bit of calculations on surplus centers website, and found that with 7gpm and 2000psi into a .75cu in motor, I will get about 2100 RPM and 240 IN/lbs of torque. Does my math sound right, and will it be enough power to run the mower deck for normal height grass?
Where does 7gpm and 2000psi come from? Did you find the TORO specs? What engine RPM gives 7gpm ?

Can you find the specs on the original reel motors?

240 IN/lbs of torque. Doesn't sound right, did you lose a zero? 2400 might work.

/ Toro Reelmaster 223-D rotary conversion #6  
well, I did a bit of measuring and calculations, and figured out that with the pulley system on the deck I need to turn the gearbox on the deck at about 2000 rpm in order to get 17,000 fpm tip speed (the pulley on the gearbox is 1.3 times bigger in circumference than the blade pulleys, and the blades are 25" each) I did a bit of calculations on surplus centers website, and found that with 7gpm and 2000psi into a .75cu in motor, I will get about 2100 RPM and 240 IN/lbs or torque. Does my math sound right, and will it be enough power to run the mower deck for normal height grass?
Will you be keeping the existing gearbox? If so, what is its gear ratio?
It appears that 240 inch lbs at 2100 RPM is ~8HP from the motor (formula: ((inch lbs*RPM)/63025), so ((240*2100)/63025)). You will need 3-4 times that much HP to push a 72" deck in heavy grass as the rule of thumb is 3-5HP/foot of deck.
We have a B7500 (~16 PTO HP) and in heavy grass it has a hard time keeping up with the 5' MMM. The BX2660 (~20 PTO HP) has no problem with the same size deck.

The smallest I would go with is a motor that puts out ~600 inch lbs at 2100 RPM. That will put ~20 HP into the deck which would be 3.33HP/foot.
If you will be mowing heavy grass with it, I would HIGHLY recommend trying for something that puts out ~725 inch lbs as that would bump you up to ~24HP to power the deck and would put you right at 4HP/foot.

Aaron Z