Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #1  

KRiddick

Tractor
Wheel Horse 310-8
Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models

I love my Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8! The transmission quit on it today. :-( The engine works great and the mowing deck is in good shape. I just sharpened the blades, cleaned, greased and waxed it last week. I called around to some small engine repairman and was told that it is not worth fixing. (It is between 25 - 30 years old). They said they were not sure if they could even get parts. Is this true? I heard Wheel Horse got bought out by MTD years ago and the new machines are no longer of the same quality as my old Wheel Horse. If it can't be fixed, is there a market to sell it for parts? (I've taken good care of it) If so, about how much should I ask for it? I have a 2nd mower deck also which I used for parts. (It also could use a new seat)

If I have to buy a new machine, I want one that will last another 25-30 years. I need a quality garden tractor that can pull equipment behind it as well as do a good job at mowing (2+ acres). It needs to fit in a shed with a 4' 4" wide opening. I've heard that Simplicity, Husquevarna, Massey Ferguson, & Kabota are all good brands. Would anyone recommend any other brands? What order would you rate them in? Thanks so much for your help!

Keith

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #2  
Re: Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & mod

Keith - Google Wheel Horse collector club. There is a large group of collectors of Wheel Horse tractors and may have the parts that you require

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models
Re: Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & mod

Thanks

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #4  

There are lots of parts tractors available so you could probably find a used transaxle for it for a few hundred if not less. I suggest you go over to Red Square (wheelhorseforum.com) and post what your 310-8's issues are and see if one of the WH experts can help you. It might be fixable, who knows. Also, WH was bought by Toro back in the early 1980's, not sure of the exact year. Toro continued to make WH tractors until sometime around 2000 or so. At this point, the only tractors Toro sells are rebadged MTD's or perhaps it's more accurate to say made by MTD for Toro. Nothing like the heavy duty WH tractors of yesteryear. My first tractor was a 312-8 and I still have a 20 year old 520H that I mow with weekly. Great machines.

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models

Thank you!

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #6  

Hi,
Parts should be available for it. If you post the Model # I could look it up. They are not difficult
to rebuild. They are tough units. What are the specific problems with the trans? how or why did it quit?
The more info the better.

It's been acting up for a few months now. When releasing the clutch, it would lurch forward. It never used to do that. Last week I stared to mow the lawn and have a lot of beds and trees to mow around. When I moved the shift handle to reverse, nothing happened. I moved it back to 1st and it engaged. I moved it back to reverse again and this time it engaged. The more I drove it, the less reverse worked. Then it wouldn't engage in 1st gear either and eventually none of the gears worked. The whole shift handle now moves freely without engaging in any gear. I hope this helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What is the best way to get to the tranny to work on it? Thanks!

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #8  

From what you describe I don't feel its too major. Probably a broken shifter rail or pin. If I was closer to you I would tear it down and inspect it. Like I said , parts should be available for it. Those units were very durable. Most shops don't repair units today. They are parts replacers. I just did an old gravely rear engine Trans for the local mower shop. They did not want to do it. Took all of about 3 hrs to inspect, repair and assemble.

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #9  

Might be as simple as the locator pin in the shift lever. It's under the shifter boot on the front side. Next most complicated and expensive repair is to make sure the hubs are tight on the axles, and one isn't spinning. That'll cost a woodruff key. Ditto on the input pulley.

If someone is telling you a heavy duty tractor like that isn't worth a $2 repair, I'd suggest you start talking to different people. Even if you wind up getting a used transaxle for $100, or even pulling it apart for a $100 gear or shift fork, it's still well worth repairing.

If you do open up the transaxle, get the manual transmission manual from Toro first, it'll save you a lot of time and make it really easy. I believe it can be downloaded at toro.com

/ Wheel Horse Garden Tractor 310-8: transmission quit: qulaity replace brands & models #10  

KRiddick,

Nearly every part for your tractor is still available from Toro/Wheel Horse. My dealer repairs Wheel Horse transmissions and can get every part needed. Hang on to your Wheel Horse. Even used, it is worth more than most new tractors and will probably outlast the new ones by many years.

Avoid the guy who said it is not worth repairing, he is an idiot.