New to the Wheel Horse group with a 520XI

/ New to the Wheel Horse group with a 520XI #1  

KBEAT

Bronze Member
Hello all,

I am kinda new to the Wheel Horse family and just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I have been a Cub Cadet guy for a while now with a 2185, 3184 and 3240 currently as well as a Kioti CK30 with a 72" deck (Yes, I know I have a problem :laughing:) but I found a real good deal on a 520XI with almost no hours on it that was left outside, it was screaming to be saved. Why someone would spend that kind of money on a unit like that and then leave it outside is beyond me, what a waste. Mechanically it's in real good shape just sun faded for the most part, so bad I am repainting it since it's pink now and won't rub out at all. What a beast, it's like driving a '72 Caddy, that hood seems to go on forever :D and it's as stable as an aircraft carrier. Now the questions I have are;

1. The transmission housing has a "weep" that drops just a drop of two of oil on the floor when I park it after cutting. Looks like it is coming from the top of the housing and weeping down the back. Only does it after a use, never keeps going when it sits. The only thing I can think of would be the seal for the brake shaft. Any other ideas, a vent or something ? Is this a common issue ? (I though I had read somewhere that the XI's might have had a weep issue) No big deal, just don't want it to turn into something larger, so i'll probably take it apart this fall and look at it.

2. The 48" deck does not seem to cut level side to side. I checked tire pressure and it's good, front to rear is good. The left side appears to be higher than the chute side and there is not enough adjustment to lower it. Almost like the deck sprung but the housing checks out pretty level. I will take it apart this winter and pur a straight edge across all 3 spindles to see if they are in-line or if I am missing a spacer some where. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

Other than that it's a great machine. Very comfortable, good power, very quiet and smooth. It may convert me yet.

/ New to the Wheel Horse group with a 520XI #2  
Front to rear tilt of the deck is adjusted by the nut on the long bolt in the rear-center of the deck. Those nuts tend to move down and the deck nose lowers affecting cut and at worst destroying a new belt in just 20 minutes. Double nut that bolt.