Wheel Horse 520H Info needed

/ Wheel Horse 520H Info needed #1  

Aviatordave

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade the tractor I use to pull my Z-10 Cyclone Rake. (The little Craftsman that could . . . couldn't) During my research, I'm learning that the Wheel Horse 520H is touted as quite a workhorse. The Cyclone Rake gets pretty heavy with wet leaves and I've got some small inclines that the Craftsman just can't handle. Does anybody have any knowledge on how well the 520 WH pulls? I'm also interested in knowing how readily available parts are for it. I know that they're not made anymore but wondered if there's enough surplus/aftermarket parts out there to feel comfortable in buying a used one should it need maintenance. I'm assuming Toro didn't make any design changes to it after they bought it . . . does anybody know different?

Thanks in advance,
-Dave

/ Wheel Horse 520H Info needed #2  
Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade the tractor I use to pull my Z-10 Cyclone Rake. (The little Craftsman that could . . . couldn't) During my research, I'm learning that the Wheel Horse 520H is touted as quite a workhorse. The Cyclone Rake gets pretty heavy with wet leaves and I've got some small inclines that the Craftsman just can't handle. Does anybody have any knowledge on how well the 520 WH pulls? I'm also interested in knowing how readily available parts are for it. I know that they're not made anymore but wondered if there's enough surplus/aftermarket parts out there to feel comfortable in buying a used one should it need maintenance. I'm assuming Toro didn't make any design changes to it after they bought it . . . does anybody know different?

Thanks in advance,
-Dave

I've never used a Cyclone Rack nor do I have a WH520H.

I have used a rear mount 2 bag collection system on my WH416H, which can get very heavy.
There are hilly areas on my lawn and as the collection bags got full,
the added weight on the rear of the WH tractor, cause the front end to become very light.
Proceeding up some incline areas would cause the front wheels to come off the ground.
I added front wheel weights, problem solved.
I also have a 4'x6' trailer with 2' high sides, filled with firewood the WH416H and even my WH414-8 would tow it very easily.

I think a WH520 would not have any problem towing a Cyclone Rack,
but you may want to consider adding front wheel weights to counter the added rear weight of the Cyclone Rack.
Or use your Kubota BX to tow it

As for Wheel Horse parts availability, I haven't had any issues yet, with my Wheel Horse Tractors, (years 1993 and 1986).
I believe Wheel Horse may have manufactured more WH 520 than the WH 400 series like I own.
Only because I see more used WH 520 for sale than I see used WH 400 series for sale.
I believe all WH520 were powered with an Onan Engine, and Onan engine parts are pricey.
However these same Onan Engines were also used in some John Deere tractors.
So engine part availability should be even less of an issue than Wheel Horse parts.
Good Luck

Last edited:
   / Wheel Horse 520H Info needed #3  
Almost every part number is available from the 4xx and 5xx series wheelhorse.

/ Wheel Horse 520H Info needed
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated!

-Dave