new ztr mower

/ new ztr mower #1  

PaulieD

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 35
I'm all over the place with a ztr purchase. Initially I was looking at Husquavarna because I really like my New Holland/Husky dealer. But his stock is limited and his units have a slightly higher price for the features offered. Input from the Husky forum pointed me toward more robust solutions (i.e. fabricated decks and upgraded transmissions). I think that was good advice, but I don't know how applicable it is to my situation. My current rider mower has a stamped deck that is 11 gauge steel and after 10 years it is still in good shape. I also put an average of 40 hours a year on my mower and have flat non-sandy, non-rocky, property, so I really don't have a tough mowing assignment.

Now I'm considering a Toro ss5000 (lower price, less rugged features, but it seems appropriate for my needs). It has a Kawasaki engine, 10 gauge stamped steel deck with washout ports, and the smart speed (high-low gear) control. As a newbee to ztr mowing, I think the trim and tow speed will help me adjust to the ztr mowing style. Maybe most importantly, when I read reviews of Toro ztr mowers, the satisfaction rate appears high, and the problem rate appears low.

If anyone out there has experience with the ss5000, I'd be interested in there experience with this machine. I'll willingly accept any other advice you folks may wish to offer.

Thanks,

Paul

/ new ztr mower
Change in plans. I decided to go with an EXmark Quest S-Series 50 inch model. I should pick it up on Friday. Feature wise, it looks like the Toro MX5060, an upgrade from the SS5000 that I was considering. It might be more than I need, but they were knocking off $300 and extending the warranty period.

/ new ztr mower #3  
Change in plans. I decided to go with an EXmark Quest S-Series 50 inch model. I should pick it up on Friday. Feature wise, it looks like the Toro MX5060, an upgrade from the SS5000 that I was considering. It might be more than I need, but they were knocking off $300 and extending the warranty period.

Toro owns Exmark. Same machines, different decks