maintenance of Toro Groundsmaster 325D with 72" deck

/ maintenance of Toro Groundsmaster 325D with 72" deck #1  

cravenhaven

Tractor
Ford 1900(no longer), Mahindra 5035, Toro 325D
I just bought one of these machines and am doing some initial maintenance on it before relying on it too much.
I have downloaded some of the manuals, but I cant find any detail on the spindles for the cutting deck. The left hand spindle has a grease nipple in the top of the spindle but the other two dont. All three spindles have a small bung with an Allen key head in either the middle of the casting or at the end of a short "tube" molded into the casting. I assume these are meant to be swapped with a grease nipple for greasing and then replaced, as a grease nipple is probably easily broken under the deck.
Can anyone confirm if this hypothesis is correct and also let me know what size is the grease nipple, or what is the part number for it?.

/ maintenance of Toro Groundsmaster 325D with 72" deck #2  
The TORO Website has a very good parts section: https://www.toro.com/en/parts?SearchText=30722&SelectedFilterByOption=equipment&page=2

You need the 5 digit model number and the serial number. The side discharge deck is model 30722, the recycler is 30716.

My decks have zerks on the top of all three spindles. Some pictures here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/all-other-brands/301894-any-toro-groundsmaster-fans-here.html

Were is a snip of the parts breakdown for a 1994 side discharge deck. When on the website if you click the item number on the drawing, it will highlight it in the parts list.

ts.JPG

I don't know the answer to your question about the plugs on the spindles, it shows #28, pipe plug, pn 285-17, in the list.

/ maintenance of Toro Groundsmaster 325D with 72" deck
Thanks Xfaxman.
I cant find any model nos or serial nos on my unit so didnt know exactly what it was. The Toro website is fantastic to provide all that information.

My unit definitely does not have a grease nipple (zerk?, new one for me) on the RHS spindle, though it does have one on the LHS one. I've yet to check the center spindle but with the extra info available I know what I'm looking for now.

I noticed that the RHS blade bolt was quite loose so tightened it up, but should they have any locktite or other product to ensure they dont come loose. I realise that the Left Hand Threaded bolts should tighten with normal operation, but evidence indicates that this may not be enough!.

/ maintenance of Toro Groundsmaster 325D with 72" deck
Ah!!!, looks like I have an early model spindle in the deck. On the 1990 parts list, it shows the grease nipple (zerk) in the side of the spindle housing (part no 302-52). Seems like it is an NPT 1/8-27 fitting so I should be able to find one somewhere.

/ maintenance of Toro Groundsmaster 325D with 72" deck #5  
I haven't had a problem with blade bolts coming loose after putting new blades on, but think they are right hand thread on my decks.

Glad you found the deck parts breakdown. I have downloaded some manuals for mine also.

Years ago all the zerks were NPT, then some were smooth and a press fit, and now some are Metric thread.

This is the 6' side discharge deck that came on the 1993 325D, shown here on the 1996 4WD traction unit.

PB020004.JPG

PB020001.JPG