Cub Cadet vs Toro

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #1  

hdd

any opinions on which would hold up better than the other. I looking at the smaller models such as the 44-50inch toros and 48-50inch cub cadets. I have about 2 acres to mow so i need something to hold up also. But im not paying the big big bucks for those industrial mowers. So in your opinions which would be a better buy? I farm so i have access to a dealer that sells the cadets since they sell Case IH tractors. Its a toro dealer right down the road but I didnt know if they are strong and can stand the test of time...

thanks in advance:)

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #2  
hdd, Welcome to TBN, I really don't have any experience on either machine your posting about, But both have a pretty good history in the lawn mowing business /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Sorry I can't be of anymore help than that . I just responded mainly because your post was sitting here with no response.
Just wanted you to know we are here. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will post soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have you visited the dealers and ask them about the features on the specific units? That might help along with the bottom line thing $$ and a test drive...Good luck

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #3  
I can tell you that my 12 year old Cub Cadet has performed well with minimal maintainence. I've had it tuned up every other year by the dealer but other than some user misuse, the machine has never let us down. Every problem I have had with it has been because of the stupidity of the owner (or the owner's lovely wife) like when we (actually SHE) hit the house and bent the sub-frame. Or when we (actually SHE) hit a tree and broke the hood hinge. But seriously, the Cubs are built like tanks, very heavy gauge steel in the decks, belts that hold up for several years without showing signs of wear. And the shaft drive models will climb steep hills while powering the mower deck while every brand of belt drive mowers that we tested won't climb while powering the mower deck.

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #4  
IF i had to pick between the two, i might be inclined to go with the cub. no personal experience but i have been looking at them and the seem pretty fair for the $$$$ one other unit u might want to check are some of the heavier units by sears, i have had one for 13 seasons now, and no problems other than normal wear, belts, battery, blades and one starter motor. some might hold up their nose at craftsman, but i personally find them to be quite realiable.

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro
thanks for the replies everyone. I like craftsman equipment also so i havent ruled that out. More than likely it will come down between those 3 and which i can get a better deal on when the time comes. Ive always heard good things about the cadet line so I figured I'd see how opinions are about those on here.

My father-n-law has a ZTX I think. 25hp and 59-60inch deck. Its a sweet machine but a little to pricey for me at roughly 7-8k

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #6  
In recent yrs. CC was purchased by MTD. Since they sell to mass merchandisers, the design and mfging of some or all CC models may no longer be to the standard they were in earlier models. Maybe some TBNers can shed some light on this. I have seriously considered a Craftsman DLT. They have a 10 ga. deck with 4 ga. wheels. A requirement for me is a foot actuated hydro and to date all their hydros that I have seen are hand operated.

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #7  
The entry level Cub Cadet 1000 series is designed to compete with other "Box" store machines and it's quality is not up to the standard seen in the higher models. With 2 acres to cut, I'd look at the Cub 2000 and 2500 series tractors. I don't know much about Toro except to say they have been in the lawn mowing business a long time and enjoy a decent reputation. Take some several minutes and sit on the models you are looking at. See if the leg room is ok, belly room (if needed), back support, are the controls laid out so that you can easily reach them? if the mower lift is manual, can you easily lift it? can other potential operators (wife)? same for a front mounted snowblower if needed, can you easily lift it? How easy is it to get on and off? Do you find your leg hanging up on a lever anywhere? Check the turning radius, overall width of the deck INCLUDING guards against your shed doors, gates, space between trees. In the end, it really isn't what color the paint is, but how well the machine and you work together. This tractor might last 10-20 years, so buy one that is enjoyable to use and not one you have to struggle with. I mention all this because what might be a great set-up for a tall left hander, may be really hard for a shorter right hander to use. I encourage you to try them out if possible to see if you'll be mowing with a smile, or muttering under your breath.

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro
thanks for the replies again everyone! Ive checked out a eXmark and a Yazoo/Kee's today and both of those seem like quality peices also, but for something in the 20hp range and 52inch cut the price tag is 6000 bucks roughly for the commerical units. Not bad I may add... they had a demo model which has very low hours they tried to sell me for 5500, but im still on the look.

Im going to the CC dealer in a few days to look at some of their's so ill have an idea which i like best. Ill be sure to test fit each one also;) Im 6'2 and a skinny 160 pounds so belly room is fine, but i need leg room:)

thanks again everyone!

/ Cub Cadet vs Toro #10  
MTD bought CC in 1984. They didn't start advertising it until a few years ago with the three grass blade logo. Just to set the record straight.