Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #1  

Garrett

I am about to buy a new lawn tractor.
I have narrowed my search to the following:
Toro 417XT (GT420) or New Holland MY17 or JD LX280.
I welcome all advice as I am having difficulty deciding,
Some of the info I've found is confusing, such as the Toro dealers say the 42" deck (preferred) has 3 blades & the literature and web site show it having 2 blades. I think I prefer 2 blades (heavier?). The JD 42" deck has 2 blades.
Are the washout ports on the decks any good?
I would like the Kawasaki twin I think?
The dealers I've visited say the New Holland is made by Toro and above models look very similar but the Toro is 97 lbs heavier than the New Holland and I can't find out why.
I like the foot operated deck lift on the JD but it is not a must.
I like the electric cruise control on the NH & Toro.
Any/all recommendations are appreciated.
Garrett 4/14/05

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #2  
One thing I'd like to recommend. When you post a bunch of models like this, it is helpful if you go to the website page where the model is found. Right click on the address bar and click "copy" to save the address for posting here. After that, go to your post and click on URL under Instant Markup under the posting window. Now, right click in the URL window, and choose paste. That will put the address in that window. Click okay, and then in the next window type in a name for your link. This way, we can click on it, see the model your interested in and give you better thoughts.
Otherwise, we all have to go try to find what you're talking about.
Welcome to TBN.
My suggestion is that you buy a Hustler Zero Turn Mower. They have a fantastic product, with a lifetime guarantee on the frame and hydraulics, and I think it's 3 years on the bearings. A very nice mower to use and should last for a very long time.
I know nothing of the others. I do know that Toro makes commercial grade and homeowner grade. I didn't think much of the homeowner grade mowers. I suppose you're talking about regular riders? Looking them up is too time consuming at this juncture in my week. John
HUSTLER MOWERS

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #3  
Welcome to the forum.
I won't advise you on which one to pick, but would suggest you look at the resale value of these brands. Then you can decide which is the best one to invest your money in, as the resale value will have something to do with how long they last. As long as you think they are all somewhat equal, then you may be happy with any of the three.
Just a suggestion.
I know which one I would pick. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #4  
Forget about the resale value. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Pick out the one that you like, buy it, and don't look back.

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #5  
now i thought that the NH and Toro's are the same units???

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #6  
I don't know, and I haven't seen the NH units. I have only seen commercial and residential Toros. If they're the same product, I'd try to get a more commercial unit in Toro.
Of course, I still say the Hustler Zero Turn is the absolute best. John

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #7  
Garret,
One thing to note on the Toros. The implements are extremely easy to hook up. Also they have been using this "attach -a-matic" design for decades. So you can pick up old used implements for cheap and they will fit the new models. May be something to factor in.

Phil

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #8  
Here is the links to the mowers Garrett mentioned!
New Holland MY17spec.

John Deere LX280 spec

Toro 417xt Spec

Not sure what my choice would be between them but they all look decent to me. I'm in the market for a new rider too. So lets see what info we can come up with!

Welcome by the way to the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #9  
If you're just using it for mowing I'll second the ZTR opinion.

Chad

/ Toro vs New Holland vs John Deere #10  
<font color="blue"> If you're just using it for mowing I'll second the ZTR opinion.</font>

Unless your yard is basically like golf course smooth, you really don't gain anything with a ZTR mower. If the yard is bumpy, pitted etc. your better off with a rider.