Toro to replace my lemon

/ Toro to replace my lemon #1  

cokeman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota T1570
Hey everyone. Last summer I bought a Toro GT. I have had a few problems with it. About a month ago I took it to my dealer to resolve a hard starting problem and it is still there. Seems the compression release is not working. Toro said the parts are on back order. This machine only has 14 hours on it.

My dealer convinced Toro to let me pick a new a new machine of equal value.
I picked a Time Cutter zero turn with a Briggs engine. I'm supposed to pick it up next week. The Kohler Courage in the GT has been a nightmare. I'm posting this to give Toro a plug. It's not their fault the engine went bad but they sure stepped up by replacing my machine. Got a great dealer too. I'm sure that helped also.

Dean

/ Toro to replace my lemon #2  
I've got a Kohler engine in my JD LX255. I had to replace the ignition module on it after it got in to a habit of just dying periodically on me. The parts replacement wasn't so bad, but figuring it out took some doing. B&S engines are much more better, IMHO...

We run a lot of Toro equipment at work. Good stuff, gets a lot of abuse and keeps on going.

/ Toro to replace my lemon
chrisjbell said:
B&S engines are much more better, IMHO...

We run a lot of Toro equipment at work. Good stuff, gets a lot of abuse and keeps on going.

I agree. I have had several pieces of equipment with Briggs engines with zero breakdowns. As far as the Toro comment ---- that's why I bought one. My beef is with Kohler and I'm confident the new Toro/Briggs will be fine.

Dean

/ Toro to replace my lemon #4  
Im glad your dealer stepped up to the plate and got you taken care of..

let us know how you like the zero-turn..

Brian

/ Toro to replace my lemon #5  
The Kohler Command has been about as bulletproof as a small air cooled engine can get. These Courage things though, since being introduced last year as Kohler's economy engine, seem to be very trouble prone. I thought there might be a reason Deere chose the Briggs Intek for their 100 series LT's- they had been burned by new engine models from Kohler in the past, and they figured they would let the other tractor makers test the waters.

-Fordlords-

/ Toro to replace my lemon #6  
I like Briggs engines, I just am sure to get the ones with cast iron sleeve in em.
Ben

/ Toro to replace my lemon #7  
The commercial rated Briggs Vanguard is an excellent small engine, one of the best out there. Unfortunately you don't see it on too many makes of tractors anymore. I've never been much of a lover of Briggs less expensive lines, but have to say that if I were looking for something in the economy range, at this time I think I would pick the Briggs Intek over the Kohler Courage. The Courage hasn't exactly been impressive and that will hurt Kohler's reputation.

It's become the Wal-Mart type philosophy that every manufacturer has to make a cheaped down version of their products to satisfy some higher ups at the companies they are supplying to. My question is why would a company risk damaging their reputation to do this? To make a quick buck now and say goodbye selling off their future to China? Or do they think everything is just so disposable now that nobody will notice their products suck?

-Fordlords-

/ Toro to replace my lemon #8  
I read a very good article about Snapper about why they parted ways with Wal-Mart and it was for the very reasons you state. Very interesting.

/ Toro to replace my lemon #10  
cokeman said:
I agree. I have had several pieces of equipment with Briggs engines with zero breakdowns. As far as the Toro comment ---- that's why I bought one. My beef is with Kohler and I'm confident the new Toro/Briggs will be fine.

Dean
I have an MTD with a BS twin Cyl that's never ran rite since it was new.