dump truck bed on flatbed trailer?

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I have a neighbor who purchased an old dump truck, the kind with a single rear axle, dual wheels. It's the small dump bed, maybe 8 feet long. He has removed the dump bed so he can use the truck itself for other things.

This isn't the truck/bed, but lets you know the size of the equipment I'm discussing.

So, the old dump bed is available for $800. It includes the hydraulic cylinder and frame for attaching to running gear. The metal sides and dump gate are in reasonable shape. The hydraulic sump is part of the bed but the hydraulic pump is NOT part of the dump bed.

Assume that I could solve the need for a hydraulic pump... either with an electrical pump or using my tractor hydraulics or separate PTO hydraulic pump. Actually, I'm favoring not using the tractor hydraulic system... am concerned about mixing who knows what grime from the old hydraulic system into the trasmission and brakes of my tractor.

The question is, would it be realistic to try to locate an old gooseneck flatbed trailer, maybe 20 feet long, dual axle, either single or dual wheels to mount the dump bed on. I'm talking about a flatbed that is on top of the tires so that the bed is off the ground 2 feet or more so the dump could be effective in dropping its load.

I have access to an almost unlimited amount of free dirt/gravel within 1 mile of my place... all I have to do is to move it. A dump trailer pulled by my pickup and loaded with my FEL would work for this. This would require almost no travel on a county road, so I'd rish an unlicenced trailer for this since most transport would be on private land.

I also have a rock quarry within 5 miles where I can get road base and crushed rock. As you know, purchased road base/crushed rock isn't too expensive, it's the transportation that is. I'd need to have a licensed rig for this. Net is, with a dump rig I could/would do quite a bit of road repair/improvement but without one it will remain limited to critical repairs

I need to fill in quite a few places that are eroding my ranch roads, and reroute the water flow, which I can do with my tractor if I have the dirt/gravel mix to work with.

Any comments on advisability of trying to marry an old dump bed to a trailer... or should I give up on that idea and look for other dump vehicle/trailer options? I haven't dickered any on price yet.... but I kinda figure that a maximum total cost of $2000 is my limit for a cobbled together operating rig. I'd like to get by for less.

This is one available turn key dump trailer for $5700. That's too much for me.

Last edited:
   / dump truck bed on flatbed trailer? #2  
My concern would be the weight of the dump bed, which normally are very heavy. Mounting it on a gooseneck trailer would depend on the GVW that it's rated. I've thought of doing the same thing at one time be ended up buying a 7'x10' 10K Bri-Mar trailer.

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer? #3  
Maybe you could buy Eddie's when he finishes with his. I think you can find an old used unit cheap due to taxes and licensing that will do what your wanting to do easier. But that's no fun. You can do what your describing, but if I had a truck big enough to pull a gooseneck with a loaded box on it, why not just put a dump bed on your truck. You might be able to find one of the dump trailers already built (the kind they pull behind the short bed dump trucks). I think you have a lot of options, it's just a matter of money and time invested. Good luck.

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer?
:D I don't think that Eddie is EVER going to finish with his dump vehicle... he just continues to have ideas and do stuff.... If I had half his energy and talent, I could get 10 times more done that I do!

A dump trailer... now that's an interesting option... I'd really rather not have to deal with another engine to keep running... I'll keep an eye open...

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer? #5  
I would think a used dump truck ( <26,000lbs ) would be your better option. A trailer that would hold the dump bed and carry the loaded weight would need to be heavier than a 14,000 lb trailer. JMO

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer? #6  
John,

I just purchased a 1977 C65 (24,000 GVW) with a 7.5x14 dump bed. Twin dump cylinder etc.... Paid $2800.00 for it. I don't know how it is in Texas, but in Alabama I bought a farm tag (30,000 GVW) for $45.00 a year and ALFA "farm truck" insurance (good within 50 mile radius) $120.00 a year (liability only).

The truck is in very good mechanical shape and I have already hauled 8 tons and 9 tons of gravel on two seperate occasions. I moved aprox. 40 loads of dirt (free dirt) to backfill behind my barn. The dirt was given to me. I figure the truck has already paid for itself, since fill dirt is $90.00 a load around here to have it hauled. When I finish (doubt I ever will) I'll just sell the truck to recoup some of the cost.

When I considered buying the truck and found out how cheap the tag and insurance was my wife said, buy it! If I could only get her to agree on a new F450 that easily. :D

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer? #7  
If you could find a dual tandem trailer in your price range then yes you could fab up something that would be worth it and you won't be overloading it everytime you left the quarry.

The trailer you have a pictured of on Craigs list is a 14K trailer "total" his 36K hoist is good yes but 25K load on a 14K trailer is nuts...bent axles and blown tires come of that kind of loads. A bed that size on a 14k trailer is good for trash.

/ dump truck bed on flatbed trailer?
I got it guys.... the advice is to get a tool that was designed for the job... a real but small dump truck... or properly designed dump trailer.

I've done some moving of dirt...one FEL bucket at a time... and this is going to get old quick.... will keep my eyes open for operating true dump vehicle.

Thanks for your advice!