1990's GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel???

/ 1990's GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel???
Jaybr said:
It's not that big of a deal to fix, I have mine mounted on a heat sync with an extension cable. The guy I got the truck from got the remote mounting kit off ebay.

Thanks for the info. Ford had that same problem with bad electronic units for years back in the late 70's and early eighties. Thier vehicles would run great till they warmed up. Then they would just plain old die. You would have to wait until the engine compartment cooled down before the vehicle would run again. The gel they used for the back of the units would expand breaking the electronic board terminals and connections.

/ 1990's GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel??? #52  
That's not the only reliability/durability issue with the 6.5TD. Look at the front geartrain on a 5.9L or a 7.3L. Now look at the geartrain on a 6.5TD....or lack thereof, I mean.

/ 1990's GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel??? #53  
Builder said:
That's not the only reliability/durability issue with the 6.5TD. Look at the front geartrain on a 5.9L or a 7.3L. Now look at the geartrain on a 6.5TD....or lack thereof, I mean.

Gear train of motor or the truck?:confused:

If comparing timing chain to timing gears, both are good and reliable, just a little different design. Both are also used on racing engines.

Not trying to start an argument. But the little 6.5L is better than most people give it credit for.

/ 1990's GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel??? #54  
cdhd2001 said:
Gear train of motor or the truck?:confused:

If comparing timing chain to timing gears, both are good and reliable, just a little different design. Both are also used on racing engines.

Not trying to start an argument. But the little 6.5L is better than most people give it credit for.

What's so confusing???

Look at any medium or heavy duty diesel. None will have a timing chain, they have a gear train, so do the 7.3L Ford/IH and the 5.9L Cummins that were sold when the 6.5TD was sold. If a timing chain was just as good, why wouldn't any of the bigger heavier duty diesels have them?

Another reason the 6.5TD never got more than 5% of the diesel market, even in it's best sales years. It just wasn't on par with the competition.

I think another member here put it into perspective when he said the 6.5TD is kind of a compromise between big block gas and the better light diesels of the 90's.