I did a bad thing last night

/ I did a bad thing last night #1  

LoneCowboy

Veteran Member
But not on purpose

Went off doing manure removal. put the small tractor (MF1433) in the dump trailer, chained it up and went off. Loaded up 3 loads (where is my skid steer???? this thing is so slow) and dumped it.
Came back and put the tractor in and got paid. It's now about 7:30pm, I've been at work since 7am.

Drive home, back in, go to unload the tractor and ummmmm, hey, where's the chain???
Oh, there it is, in the back of the truck.

Yep, i forgot to chain it up:eek:
it didn't move, but I'm still not happy about it
gotta make a pilot's checklist or something for use when tired.

/ I did a bad thing last night #2  
Mornin Brian,
Well you got lucky ! ;) Glad nothing was damaged ! Ill bet you had it in gear with the brakes on, and thats what probablly saved you ! Sometimes when your tired, you just plum forget !

/ I did a bad thing last night #3  
Yes a "preflight" checklist is a good thing. Over on theeRV site, one guy didn't tie down his tow vehicle, and never did miss it till the next stop many miles down the road. The vehicle came off and rolled into the sholder, no one hurt ..BUT. He called the highway patrol to find it, and yes they had it.
Another guy didn't release his emergency brake on his tow vehicle, towded it with the braked ON - ouch!

/ I did a bad thing last night #4  
Even with a "checklist"... I've seen many aircraft land with wheels up!

mark

/ I did a bad thing last night #5  
Kendall69 said:
Yes a "preflight" checklist is a good thing. Over on theeRV site, one guy didn't tie down his tow vehicle, and never did miss it till the next stop many miles down the road. The vehicle came off and rolled into the sholder, no one hurt ..BUT. He called the highway patrol to find it, and yes they had it.
Another guy didn't release his emergency brake on his tow vehicle, towded it with the braked ON - ouch!

We encountered a couple in Virginia who were towing a Suzuki Samurai behind their motorhome from California to Maryland to visit friends. He had hooked up the Suzuki and forgot to put it in neutral before he took off; destroyed one engine. And I watched a fellow in Canada starting to unhook his fifth-wheel travel trailer when he decided to move the trailer forward just a little bit to get more level. He forgot that he'd already pulled the release on the fifth-wheel hitch. It actually did relatively little damage, but sure was a loud bang, when the front of the trailer fell onto the sides of the pickup bed.:rolleyes:

/ I did a bad thing last night #6  
Honest to goodness story. Last fall I was driving home from work and noticed something odd on the other side of the highway. I was a 5'x10' single axle going to other direction at about 65mph. You guest it, no truck pulling it, sparks flying from the jack post.

The amazing part is it was going straight as an arrow. It passed to owner in the passing lane as I saw him pull off to the side. Had to rub my eyes after that one.

/ I did a bad thing last night #7  
Way back when was hauling crude oil, I decided I should drop my trailer real quick one morning to grease my fifth wheel. That old freightliner's release would not stay out so I had my wife jump in and pull her forward while I help the handle out. Wasn't going to leave it, so I left the air lines and the lights hooked up... She pulled 'er forward, I am screaming for her to stop cuz she was moving a it fast.. Just then there was thunk as the trailer dropped down on the tractor frame... I forgot to drop the landing gear..... My neighbor had to bring over he big JB loader tractor and help me get it situated.... he got a good laugh outta the deal... bad thing was that at first the wife though it was something SHE did.... i told her nope.. just cranial rectal instertion by me....:D

/ I did a bad thing last night #9  
Saw a boat on a trailer do that once. Came disconnect at an intersection that had a big crown in it. Guy was doing 40-45mph. I do not know how it came disconnected(Chains, latch or?). It dropped the tongue to the pavement, and slowly veered to the right, into the bike lane, through a shallow ditch/swale, and in to a small field. Missed a fire hydrant and telephone pole by inches...

Everything was fine except for some wear on the tongue.

kwolfe said:
Honest to goodness story. Last fall I was driving home from work and noticed something odd on the other side of the highway. I was a 5'x10' single axle going to other direction at about 65mph. You guest it, no truck pulling it, sparks flying from the jack post.

The amazing part is it was going straight as an arrow. It passed to owner in the passing lane as I saw him pull off to the side. Had to rub my eyes after that one.

/ I did a bad thing last night #10  
Odd things you see on the highway-

I was heading southbound on the highway here while back and I noticed what appeared to be a wheel cross the lane in front of me. Almost simulataneously, in the corner of my eye I see another wheel heading northbound straight down the opposite lanes of traffic across the median.

Then a few moments later I see the Ford dually pickup, less the two rear wheels on the driver's side, just having ground to a halt on the shoulder of the road in a small cloud of dust. Poor guy had a real blank look on his face.