exploding trailer tires

/ exploding trailer tires #1  

LoneCowboy

Veteran Member
Ohhh, it's been a joy of a week. :mad:

Driving down the freeway, wife is behind me, I lost her somewhat in traffic but she knows how to get home. She's freaked and says "tire blew up"

what?
This trailer was brand new in 04, it has less than 15,000 miles on it (probably less than 10,000) and i"ve already had to replace one tire. (tear in sidewall, about 2 years ago)

I knew instantly which one, the other day I thought it was rolling funny when I was turning, but finally checked the air, looked fine, and wrote it off to visual effects.

Sure enough, that tire EXPLODED. didn't go flat, completely let go (with the tractor on it of course, thank god for tandem axles). The wife went off on the shoulder and drove slowly down to the next exit (we're not unloading on the side of the freeway). It destroyed the light on that back corner, and beat the paint clean off the metal fender. Rim is ok.

Now i have to replace all 4 tires.
A. I obviously don't trust them.
B. They are some odd size and under loaded (they are 3k tires on a 14k trailer, making it a 12k trailer), new from the factory. (PJ trailers)
C. and the only people who make this size tire is some made in China junk.

I'll be switching sizes and going with some good tires. I'm sure it will not be cheap, I'm really thrilled.

Anyway, don't overload the trailer (i.e. we could still maintain control and drive the trailer with 3 wheels), and if something looks wrong, it probably is.

/ exploding trailer tires #2  
You are having a really bad week. I have been there. I hope it's over soon.

/ exploding trailer tires #3  
I think you need to go to the range and have some fun. tail wheels, radiator hoses and trailer tires all in the same week.

/ exploding trailer tires #4  
I'll second trailer trouble. Arrived at a "favor" job only to see front wheel on trailer at a nice angle. Checked it, lug nuts loose and pulled through wheel. Lucky it's a triple axle, pulled it the rest of the way off and the opposite wheel same axle. After checking apperantly triple axles put extreme stress on first and third axle and all the nuts not tight enough. They were tightened with an impact. New maintenance schedule. Then received a call at work that my daughter heard a noise down by the trailer, had my FIL go look. One of the two tires left on one side was flat. 17K on 1 rim and 1 tire. I hope it holds till I get home!!! Robbie

/ exploding trailer tires #5  
interesting to know about the PJ brand i was looking at a pj dump trailer, that tire thing could be a deal breaker.

/ exploding trailer tires #6  
I have had better luck with LT tires on trailers than marked "trailer" tires. It's pretty common for trailer tires to shred like that. But car and truck tires typically don't have that issue.

Come to think of it, my 12k trailer has "trailer" tires on it and 6 years of service covering 20k miles. Uh-oh... Better check them again!

jb

/ exploding trailer tires #7  
I'd never been around a tire that litterally exploded until earlier this week....flats, blow outs yeah.

I was driving down the interstate following along and somewhat behind a mobile home being towed by a truck when one of its tires blew up. The sound was more than I would have expected from one of these tires.....as I jerked the wheel involuntarily and had to recompose myself. Chunks of insulation, press-board and siding shot of in all directions as well.

I don't generally startle that easy, but, a disintegrating tire has an alarming ring to it....:)

/ exploding trailer tires #8  
Joe, those mobile home tires run considerably higher air pressure than most similar sized tires on trailers, so they're a little louder when they burst.:D

/ exploding trailer tires #9  
Yeah, probably medium duty tires running at 120 PSI. That alway's makes for a nice BOOM!

One thing I do when replacing my trailer tires is to alway's upgrade their load rating if possible. It never hurts to have a little heavier tire.

/ exploding trailer tires #10  
JoeinTX said:
I'd never been around a tire that litterally exploded until earlier this week....flats, blow outs yeah.

I was driving down the interstate following along and somewhat behind a mobile home being towed by a truck when one of its tires blew up. The sound was more than I would have expected from one of these tires.....as I jerked the wheel involuntarily and had to recompose myself. Chunks of insulation, press-board and siding shot of in all directions as well.

I don't generally startle that easy, but, a disintegrating tire has an alarming ring to it....:)

Years back I as driving a Case 2290 from one field to the other on the farm... 130 HP, 2WD Ag Tractor.... had the grapple bucket on I think.... rocking a long in rd gear...~ 20 MPH.... when BLAM.. sounds like a bomb went off and the wind shield is pelted with stuff.... right front tire had blown.... stepped on the clutch and brought'er to a halt... of course I was only about 3/4 a mile from my destination.... hr or so and she was back running... used the loader to pick the front end of the ground... always had a spare tire/wheel mounted and ready for that tractor anyway... Scary thing was that 5 minutes before that.. my feet were in the window kicked back relaxing going down the rd not on the floor where i could get to the clutch fast.:eek: