When did official towing weight ratings begin?

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
This is a two part question...

1. Would anyone know when the trailer weight rating system started... as in Payload Capacity? What is the procedure if the trailer is not rated? Does it matter when crossing state lines or does the reciprocosity between states apply to trailers as well as drivers licenses and cars?

The car trailer I use was bought new by my Uncle in 1957. It has a tag with the manufacturer's name, serial number and the unladen trailer weight. The company is still around, but has not been in the trailer business since 1967.

2. Anyone know when vehicle manufacturers started listing vehicle tow ratings?

Most of my vehicles are older as in 1960's and older. The owner's manuals have statements such as "Trailer Brakes recommended for trailers over 2,000 lbs" or contact your dealer for availability of Heavy Duty trailer accessories and then list, HD radiator, HD turn flasher, HD shocks, 6-ply tires, and various rear axle ratios.

All the discussions on TBN regarding DOT inspections and law enforcement makes me curious. I've never had any issues towing.

My uncle's car carrier has been coast to coast many times and I've used it between Oakland and Seattle last year. His tow vehicle of choice was always a big full-size American station wagon with the biggest V8 available.

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin? #2  
I think that I would try to get a weight rating on the axles by comparing the bearings to a known newer unit. My trailer has no tag so I can license it with whatever gross weight I want, within reason. If I get over a certain weight rating however I must have it inspected yearly (don't want to do that). If you can show that you believe your axles are good for a given weight and have tires and brakes to match you should be OK. Just keep it within reason. The vehicles it was built to carry probably weighed a lot more than a new Caddy would....But then again I've never been stopped and checked.

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin?
Thanks Pat... All the talk about DOT inspections got me to thinking what if???

I've used this single axle trailer to haul my BX23 about 600 miles... mostly, I use it for Model A's, T's, Bantams and old Mustangs.

Back in the 60's my Uncle used it to transport his Ford GT40 MKII. and Ford Cobra to Laguna Seca races and Pebble Beach shows. That GT40 is worth between 500K and a million today and he was pleased when he sold it for 25K back in 1975 just after the Gas Crisis for all those that can remember back that far.

I would love to have an ATC all aluminum enclosed trailer if money was not an object. Anybody familiar with the Amish built Aluminum Trailer Company, ATC for short?

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin? #4  
Amish built aluminum car trailers. Now that's a good one. I thought that those folks didn't even use rubber tires and now they are cutting and welding aluminum plus adding tires?

Highbeam... here ya go...

"At ATC we have combined the best of both worlds—Amish craftsmanship with State-of-the-Art technology. We have hand-picked the best workers in the business. Our production team is fanatical about attention to detail and quality workmanship. Likewise, our innovative engineering department is trained in the latest 3-D (CAD) computer software. With this unbeatable combination, ATC is fast becoming the golden standard in the trailer industry. Take a look for yourself... and see what all the fuss is about!"

Everyone I've met with an ATC trailer has been very satisfied. Last week I contacted the manufacturer and was quoted $2800 freight to Oakland CA and that was with the trailer being towed as opposed to a flat-bed.

Most owner's either have very expensive vehicles or they are on the road so much that they realize fuel savings from the light weight aluminum construction.

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin? #6  
This is a two part question...

1. Would anyone know when the trailer weight rating system started... as in Payload Capacity? What is the procedure if the trailer is not rated? Does it matter when crossing state lines or does the reciprocosity between states apply to trailers as well as drivers licenses and cars?

The car trailer I use was bought new by my Uncle in 1957. It has a tag with the manufacturer's name, serial number and the unladen trailer weight. The company is still around, but has not been in the trailer business since 1967.

2. Anyone know when vehicle manufacturers started listing vehicle tow ratings?

Most of my vehicles are older as in 1960's and older. The owner's manuals have statements such as "Trailer Brakes recommended for trailers over 2,000 lbs" or contact your dealer for availability of Heavy Duty trailer accessories and then list, HD radiator, HD turn flasher, HD shocks, 6-ply tires, and various rear axle ratios.

All the discussions on TBN regarding DOT inspections and law enforcement makes me curious. I've never had any issues towing.

My uncle's car carrier has been coast to coast many times and I've used it between Oakland and Seattle last year. His tow vehicle of choice was always a big full-size American station wagon with the biggest V8 available.

The magic number for crossing state lines is 10,000 lbs. The Feds consider any towed vehicle with a GVW rating of over 10,000 lbs as commercial and requires some type of commercial drivers license.

Weight rating starts with the axle capacity. With the exception of very small trailers most axle ratings start at 3,500 lbs, then 5,200 lbs then 7,000 lbs. I am sure there are more variations but this would cover most bumper pulls. By adding multiple axles the weight rating goes up.

So 2 3500 lb axles would give you a GVW of 7,000 lbs. Now subtract the weight of the trailer without payload -probably in excess of 2,000 lbs. So you are going to windup with a payload capacity of ~5,000 lbs. Somewhere around 4,500 lbs state laws require brakes on the trailer. Now to complicate things a little more you have to take into consideration the towing capacity of towing vehicle. So if your large station wagon or compact truck can only tow 3,000 lbs then you are SOL.

Eight plus years since I first posted...

Brother just ordered a new Diesel f250 and went for the optional 9990 Truck GVW... it was a no cost option as everything remained the same... just the tag has a lower GVW.

The sales person suggested it as some have been having trouble with the higher factory GVW requiring a commercial license.

Most of my stuff is so old there are no tags... early 1960's and prior.

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin? #8  
Amish built aluminum car trailers. Now that's a good one. I thought that those folks didn't even use rubber tires and now they are cutting and welding aluminum plus adding tires?

I got a chance to tour Amish country in Pennsylvania years ago. My friend who was showing me around contracted them to make a wrought iron hitching post for there belgians. The dude had a better cell phone then I did at the time. They use generators to run the fab shops, and cell phones to conduct buisiness. They have made quite a few concessions to be able to keep up with modern times and to make a living.

/ When did official towing weight ratings begin? #10