Dodge 6.7 Cummins

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #3  
This DPF is hopefully a transient system and will be gone before long. To burn fuel in the exhaust somehow seems like a stop-gap method of meeting and emission requirement, kind of like the old air injection pumps of old.

I read some of these post and have to shake my head. We buy these diesel pickups for "longevity", right? One guy in that thread says, "My '06 5.9 worked like a champ." How worn out could that '06 have been before he traded it for an '08?? I read posts where people buy new trucks every couple of years. They must want something really bad to trade for a truck that has "longevity" that often.

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #4  
Not at all surprised by the problems; the 2007 diesel emissions requirements are painfully strict and difficult to meet. I read the linked forum and all in all the problems look fairly minor, if it's only a software programming issue. The 2005/06 Jeep CRD (diesel) of which I own a copy has much, much worse problems, some of them emissions related.

My wife has a 2006 Ram 2500-Cummins which she loves and wants to keep forever. With the change from 06 to 07, I will continue to encourage her plans to do so!

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #5  
cp1969

The DPF technology is also being used in the semi trucks as well. I have not heard of any other diesel pollution control options at this time. The new Cummins seems to be a good engine by early reports but the DPF is having major issues. Dodge needs to get a better vender/option. Ford and Chevy also use DPFs but haven't had the same issues. Newer 2010 requirements will probably use urea in the pollution control scheme. Will you have to fill up with urea as well? The DPFs also seem to be killing fuel economy with Dodge, Ford and Chevy in the newer engines.
Many dodge owners seem to keep having recurring issues despite a change in the software.

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #6  
radman1 said:
cp1969
Ford and Chevy also use DPFs but haven't had the same issues.
Wasn't the Ford recall for the fire shooting exhaust caused by the emmisions crap that reburns the fuel in the cats...?

You Tube Ford Video

Tech Article

Ford appears to be issuing a software patch to fix it also.

Either way, I would only buy a Dodge or Chevy diesel. The Allison tranny is a huge plus but I and two other friends have all had our share of way too many problems with newer Chevy's. My next truck is a 3/4 ton Ram mega-cab Cummins diesel.

I'd rather be cummin than strokin! :D

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #7  
radman1 said:
cp1969

The DPF technology is also being used in the semi trucks as well. I have not heard of any other diesel pollution control options at this time. The new Cummins seems to be a good engine by early reports but the DPF is having major issues. Dodge needs to get a better vender/option. Ford and Chevy also use DPFs but haven't had the same issues. Newer 2010 requirements will probably use urea in the pollution control scheme. Will you have to fill up with urea as well? The DPFs also seem to be killing fuel economy with Dodge, Ford and Chevy in the newer engines.
Many dodge owners seem to keep having recurring issues despite a change in the software.

The only difference being the Dodge runs real rough during a regen, one may think the truck is falling apart those 15 minutes,,, Better than a truck catching fire and burning like some others are doing. I don't know where you get they kill the fuel economy, Mine is getting 17 and once in a while a little over,, Last one got high 18's. A loss yes,, not an earth shattering loss. I will say that when towing,, there is a significant drop compared to the 5.9's I owned. I'm not sure of your statement they have recurring issues,, SDo you own a Dodge and know this?

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #8  
Many of the newer diesel truck owners are reporting 13-15 mpg on the various forums with the newer engines, DPF and unloaded. Pulling loads some report as low as 8 mpg. My F-250 V10 gasser gets about 12 unloaded and 9-10 pulling loads. I drive 70-75 mph most of the time except when pulling. Getting harder to justify a 6-7K diesel when fuel mileage is getting closer to a gas. I will admit that the hp of the newer diesels are higher than several years ago when many made over 20 mpg. Like the catalytic converter, the DPF will evolve and get better and cheaper with time. The early catalytic converters could cause grass fires, smelled badly, were larger and so on. The were improved with time and now no one thinks about them much anymore.

My friend still has recurring DPF problems with his dodge truck despite updated software. His service guy is replacing some DPFs and told him the software should help but others like him are still having issues. My understanding is that dodge runs its regeneration only at higher road speeds. Fords, and I believe Chevy, will do a regen whenever the computer tells it to, at idle, road speed etc. Maybe some dodge owners who drive in cities or slower speeds are the ones with the problems?

/ Dodge 6.7 Cummins #9  
To add insult to injury, they charge an extra grand for the DPF. So list on the diesel option is now about $7k.