Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #111  
Is that a first gen with a cummins?

It's a 93 model, with the cummins engine and about 140k. I used to drive it back and forth to work, but it's retired now and only gets used for fun stuff.
It's a great truck.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #112  
I have some property 20 miles from my house and this is how I get there every chance I get.

Attachments

• lk7.jpg
    lk7.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 1,701
   / Your towing rigs and trailers
First, I must say this thread has turned out great. I'm really impressed with the great pics. They've given tons of ideas on trailering my equipment. But I'm going to throw out another question. With some of the huge loads you guys have posted pics of,what speeds are you traveling both in town and on the highway. The reason I ask is last week I hauled my dump trailer to capacity (weight wise) with rip rap about 20 miles. I was quite suprised to find out how much my truck and trailer weigh empty. I weighed in at 12k (f250 psd and 10k PJ dump trailer) I left the yard weighing 17500lbs. And the truck had little problems towing that much but even with the trailer brakes set up right. It still made me nervous coming to stops. Now I should point out this is the heaviest I've towed with this combo. So I may just need to get used to it. But it got me thinking about traveling down the highway at 65.
It would be almost impossible to stop. So is it safe to say this feeling is justified or am I just being overly nervous?

Matt T.:D

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #114  
If I want air conditioning I use my '04 F-350. If it's cooler and I want to run through a 10 speed trans and hear a 220 Cummins I use my '59 White.

Attachments

• JD 6400 tractor and Kuhn GMD 700 GII.JPG
    JD 6400 tractor and Kuhn GMD 700 GII.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,467
  • Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Truck2.jpg
    Truck2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,063
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #115  
GreatWhitehunter said:
First, I must say this thread has turned out great. I'm really impressed with the great pics. They've given tons of ideas on trailering my equipment. But I'm going to throw out another question. With some of the huge loads you guys have posted pics of,what speeds are you traveling both in town and on the highway. The reason I ask is last week I hauled my dump trailer to capacity (weight wise) with rip rap about 20 miles. I was quite suprised to find out how much my truck and trailer weigh empty. I weighed in at 12k (f250 psd and 10k PJ dump trailer) I left the yard weighing 17500lbs. And the truck had little problems towing that much but even with the trailer brakes set up right. It still made me nervous coming to stops. Now I should point out this is the heaviest I've towed with this combo. So I may just need to get used to it. But it got me thinking about traveling down the highway at 65.
It would be almost impossible to stop. So is it safe to say this feeling is justified or am I just being overly nervous?

Matt T.:D

You are correct, that feeling IS justified. I've seen plenty of pickups with brand new trailers in accidents from going too fast. When you're new to towing heavy loads behind your truck, you should take it slow, stay in the right lane and leave a lot of distance between you and the next vehicle ahead so you can stop safely. Make sure your trailer brakes and lights are working properly. Good luck.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #116  
Just bought a 08 F350 XL 2WD with V 10. Traded off an 03 F 250 with 5.4. Have been towing a Big Tex 20 ft hauling a JD 5203 with 512 loader. The 5.4 proved to be pretty satisfactory, but still wanted a little more get up and go and did not want to pay for the diesel. Have heard from several sources the V10 is no worse on mileage than th 5.4. Guess I will find out.

Am not satisfied with the 20 foot trailer. Would like to get a blade on there at times. The ramps are way too short to load with any 3ph mounted implement.
Prefer to stay with bumper pull so I can load the back of my truck with tools and other gear. Another poster mentioned the lack of trailers over 20 feet for bumper pull. The F350 is limited to 12,300 tow weight so there's the limitation.

Just wonder if a 3 axle might be the ticket? Have not found anything on the net like this. Am in the West Texas/Central Texas area.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #117  
All,

I had to post a pic of my latest towing rig. It's a 97 f450 diesel. My other towing device is an 04 f250 diesel. I couldn't get them both in the picture. :)

Attachments

• Rig.JPG
    Rig.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,137
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #118  
P5080183 (Small).JPGDSC_0002 (Small).JPG

P7240013 (Small).JPG

The trailer is a 20' 14k gvrw & gate has BIG springs!
The front truck is an 2008 F350 deisel, the one in the back is an 2008 v-10

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #119  
sweet setup, greensway!

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #120  
Unreconstructed and Greensway,

How do you like those V10's and how do they compare to the diesel?

I've been looking to uprade to the V10 or diesel...would like to get the V10 due to $ difference if the performance is similar.