Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,241  
In California, pulling a 10,001 GVWR or larger equipment trailer requires a CDL even if pulling with a regular pickup. So a typical 14k tandem gooseneck dump trailer puts you into a CDL to tow it legally, even if the combo isn't over 26k or rated over 26k. And yes you can take your CDL test in a pickup with that trailer, but as mentioned you will be restricted to non-air brakes so the CDL becomes pretty limiting.

I know this differs in other states.

Hi Dave...

There must be an exemption for the large boats I see running up and down I5 similar to motorhomes?

Which leads me to believe it isn't just about weight.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,242  
Hi Dave...

There must be an exemption for the large boats I see running up and down I5 similar to motorhomes?

Which leads me to believe it isn't just about weight.

I think there are some exceptions. At one point anyway a horse trailer could be higher, and I think that is still the case. And RV trailers can be higher also. Most likely because more lawmakers have horses and RVs and they make the rules.....makes no sense otherwise.

Just to stir things up a little, California also limits a "pickup" by definition to a max GVWR of 11,400lbs. If you have a late model 3500 Dodge dually you are over that and even with a factory bed you are legally required to stop at the scales, even empty and not towing anything. Obviously the intent is not to have "pickup" in the scales, but it appears that some of our laws are lagging behind the reality of the newer trucks with higher capacities. That also means a guy hauling a >10K flatbed trailer with a "pickup" rated >11,400 not only needs a CDL but if a business must be in the BIT program and have his terminal inspected, do drug tests, etc. It's a crazy low entry point into what is meant for big trucks. California, land of the free......Just to be clear, I'm fine with the terminal inspections and making sure everything is safe, I just don't want to have to dedicate a bunch of time and resources to a program if I don't need to.

With our delivery trucks we have learned the California laws as they apply to us. So now we pull our big gooseneck with a SRW pickup, we sold the dually even though a dually would be marginally safer with the heavy pin load on a gooseneck. It still requires a CDL, but no scales or inspections or BIT program. And our 26,000GVWR (not 26,001) Freightliner rollback (without a trailer) with airbrakes can be driven by anyone, no CDL required, but must go through the scales. We can hook a trailer of less than 10K GVWR to the back and be ok, except if we are over 40' we would be back into the BIT program....and the truck is 31 foot already, so we never pull a trailer with it.

I bet every state has its nuances. We have found the best method to figure these things out is to just call a commercial CHP officer and have him come out and teach us. We have found them to be super nice and they like proactive businesses that ask them to be involved.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,243  
I passed my CDL today. I failed two tests on Friday. When I picked up the CDL book to study, the DPS lady told me what chapters to know, after I told her what I wanted. Too many questions on air brakes and buses made me bomb. I had to go read up on buses and semi trailer air brakes this weekend.
Take the driving test on April 12th!
hugs, Brandi

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,244  
I think there are some exceptions. At one point anyway a horse trailer could be higher, and I think that is still the case. And RV trailers can be higher also. Most likely because more lawmakers have horses and RVs and they make the rules.....makes no sense otherwise.

Just to stir things up a little, California also limits a "pickup" by definition to a max GVWR of 11,400lbs. If you have a late model 3500 Dodge dually you are over that and even with a factory bed you are legally required to stop at the scales, even empty and not towing anything. Obviously the intent is not to have "pickup" in the scales, but it appears that some of our laws are lagging behind the reality of the newer trucks with higher capacities. That also means a guy hauling a >10K flatbed trailer with a "pickup" rated >11,400 not only needs a CDL but if a business must be in the BIT program and have his terminal inspected, do drug tests, etc. It's a crazy low entry point into what is meant for big trucks. California, land of the free......Just to be clear, I'm fine with the terminal inspections and making sure everything is safe, I just don't want to have to dedicate a bunch of time and resources to a program if I don't need to.

With our delivery trucks we have learned the California laws as they apply to us. So now we pull our big gooseneck with a SRW pickup, we sold the dually even though a dually would be marginally safer with the heavy pin load on a gooseneck. It still requires a CDL, but no scales or inspections or BIT program. And our 26,000GVWR (not 26,001) Freightliner rollback (without a trailer) with airbrakes can be driven by anyone, no CDL required, but must go through the scales. We can hook a trailer of less than 10K GVWR to the back and be ok, except if we are over 40' we would be back into the BIT program....and the truck is 31 foot already, so we never pull a trailer with it.

I bet every state has its nuances. We have found the best method to figure these things out is to just call a commercial CHP officer and have him come out and teach us. We have found them to be super nice and they like proactive businesses that ask them to be involved.

Heck, my 06 F350 4x4 Single Rear Wheel has a GVWR of 11,500#

Glad I live where I do. I could not imagine needing a CDL to tow my 15,600# boat and my uncles that is nearly 10K heavier.

Chris

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,245  
I passed my CDL today. I failed two tests on Friday. When I picked up the CDL book to study, the DPS lady told me what chapters to know, after I told her what I wanted. Too many questions on air brakes and buses made me bomb. I had to go read up on buses and semi trailer air brakes this weekend.
hugs, Brandi
Congrats! I failed the air brake section once and never went and re-tested,that was several years ago.
I was told to take the driving part could do it in small dump truck just aslong as had airbrakes,didn't even need a trailer on it.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,246  
Congrats! I failed the air brake section once and never went and re-tested,that was several years ago.
I was told to take the driving part could do it in small dump truck just aslong as had airbrakes,didn't even need a trailer on it.

Thanks. Eventually, I'll get air brakes added...........when I buy some air brakes, as in a dump truck! Right now I would have to rent a vehicle to do that.
hugs, Brandi

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,247  
I just sold my 40 Straight deck Big Tex and got a 20+5 Big Tex GN. The 40 Ft trailer was to much you can not take it no where. The dovetail go's out to 25ft 9in and i have slide in ramps to use the dove tail part and now i can get into places (like the lumber yard). and i made a deck on the neck but it bolts on so i can take it off if i don't need the space. Photo Mar 18, 12 52 47 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 22, 2 45 30 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 19, 7 43 59 AM.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,248  
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #1,249  
hugs, Brandi

Congrats Brandi

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,250  

Just one of the many reasons I left the state I was born in and lived in for most of my life. Love it...but the government is wacked!