Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,741  
I know the difference between a GT40 and a Ford GT:D I was just doing some reading on the GT40 and it looks like in its earlier days it was just called a Ford GT.

I think the GT40 MKIII was a road car.

From wikip:

The Mk III was a road-car only, of which 7 were built.[1] The car had four headlamps, the rear part of the body was expanded to make room for luggage, the 4.7 litre engine was detuned to 335 bhp (250 kW), the shocks were softened, the shift lever was moved to the center and the car was available with the steering wheel on the left side of the car. As the Mk III looked significantly different from the racing models many customers interested in buying a GT40 for road use chose to buy a Mk I that was available from Wyer Ltd.

I'm not sure if 7 qualifies as "sold"...... talk about a seller's market ! :shocked:

Curious.... I'll try reading up on Wyer (and quit drifting ;).... I'll blame UR for talking about his trailer :laughing:) ..... I seem to remember big-blocks in these old GTs.... could have been a one-off I read about, for a special race event, or just factory development testing.....

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,742  
From wikip:

The Mk III was a road-car only, of which 7 were built.[1] The car had four headlamps, the rear part of the body was expanded to make room for luggage, the 4.7 litre engine was detuned to 335 bhp (250 kW), the shocks were softened, the shift lever was moved to the center and the car was available with the steering wheel on the left side of the car. As the Mk III looked significantly different from the racing models many customers interested in buying a GT40 for road use chose to buy a Mk I that was available from Wyer Ltd.

I'm not sure if 7 qualifies as "sold"...... talk about a seller's market ! :shocked:

Curious.... I'll try reading up on Wyer (and quit drifting ;).... I'll blame UR for talking about his trailer :laughing:) ..... I seem to remember big-blocks in these old GTs.... could have been a one-off I read about, for a special race event, or just factory development testing.....

Rgds, D.

I think the MKII and MKIV had a 427/7.0L.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,743  
I think the MKII and MKIV had a 427/7.0L.

Bingo.... that's it.

I've read a detailed description of that platform being run up on the track...... you just about went deaf, but definite gear-head nirvana :cool2:

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,744  
Bingo.... that's it.

I've read a detailed description of that platform being run up on the track...... you just about went deaf, but definite gear-head nirvana :cool2:

Rgds, D.

Check out the headers they had. Google bundle of snake headers.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,745  
Check out the headers they had. Google bundle of snake headers.

I saw that reference in the email notification of your post.... spent some time looking 'em up.

Work of Art is understatement..... you wouldn't take that to Midas !

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,746  
I saw that reference in the email notification of your post.... spent some time looking 'em up.

Work of Art is understatement..... you wouldn't take that to Midas !

Rgds, D.

I would not have wanted to been the guy to make those.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,747  
I would not have wanted to been the guy to make those.

I've personally known 2 guys good enough to pull that off. Unfortunately, one of them passed away this past Winter. Skills I could only dream of..... lost to time.

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,748  
It was quite loud... rev it a little and it would set off store burglar alarms at night.

He actually had two of them at different times... and both are in the registry books...

Sold the last one and bought a new GT... owned the GT 7 years and sold it for 65k more than he paid for it from the Dealer new. Said the new GT was a car that could actually be driven and it had A/C which is something the originals really could have used because ventilation was extremely limited at low speed... can't just roll down a window!

I only was able to drive the GT40 once and not far... it's a car you slide into and on each side of you are fuel tanks.

For those keeping track... GT40 P/1056 and GT40 P/1114 (Last RHD Mark I made)

GT40 1056 was originally built to order 11-14-1966 for Ford Dearborn for show and used as a road car.

GT40 1114 was originally sold in England in 1972

The ground clearance is extremely low... less than 5" and this was not just for one point... driveway curb cuts or speed bumps were impossible obstacles... yet both cars were titled and licensed for the street in California.

Getting back on topic...

The Mark I weighed in at exactly 2000 lbs and well within the single axle trailer capacity...

A total of 133 were built with 87 being Production for Mark I

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,749  
It was quite loud... rev it a little and it would set off store burglar alarms at night.

He actually had two of them at different times... and both are in the registry books...

Sold the last one and bought a new GT... owned the GT 7 years and sold it for 65k more than he paid for it from the Dealer new. Said the new GT was a car that could actually be driven and it had A/C which is something the originals really could have used because ventilation was extremely limited at low speed... can't just roll down a window!

I only was able to drive the GT40 once and not far... it's a car you slide into and on each side of you are fuel tanks.

For those keeping track... GT40 P/1056 and GT40 P/1114 (Last RHD Mark I made)

GT40 1056 was originally built to order 11-14-1966 for Ford Dearborn for show and used as a road car.

GT40 1114 was originally sold in England in 1972

The ground clearance is extremely low... driveway curb cuts or speed bumps were impossible obstacles... yet both cars were titled and licensed for the street in California.

That had to be cool getting to drive it.

I was looking at the "new" GTs earlier. People are asking $300k to $500k for a heritage.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,750  
That had to be cool getting to drive it.

I was looking at the "new" GTs earlier. People are asking $300k to $500k for a heritage.

I think he paid around 160k new and enjoyed for 7 years and sold if for 225k

It was red, white stripe and black interior and looked showroom... never did get to drive it.

Have driven some of his others... AC Cobra both small and big block, 351 Pantera, Lola and Lotus Super 7

The GT40 was the only one that required planning no matter where you went... driving or loading/unloading from the trailer... at only 40 inches high it was smaller in every dimension than the new GT...

By the way... the new GT came and went Fedex transport and the guys both times were pros at loading/unloading... had all the specs and in now rush.

Back in the day... passenger cars were just a popular or more popular tow vehicles than trucks... trucks tended to be much smaller and light in the back end compared to today's trucks.

We just about always towed with Oldsmobiles... mostly big wagons with 455... although did tow the Super 7 to Squaw Valley with a Buick Skylark convertible which I thought was neat... looked like someone tailgating all the way to Tahoe...

One of the worst tow cars ever was a 1974 Chrysler Town and Country Wagon with a 440... it was very much gutless and it seemed we needed to refuel about every 150 miles...