Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,571  
Renze, why don't Europeans use electric brakes or weight distributing hitches? Regulatory or cultural?

Thats entirely cultural. Ive been around on this site for quite some time now, which gave me interesting insights in the cultural differences between Europe and America. Thats why i love this place :)

"why don't Europeans use electric brakes or weight distributing hitches?" The European would say: Electric brakes are prone to failure due to poor electrical contacts. It needs a brake controller in the tow vehicle, so it makes the trailer only available to the controller equipped vehicle (which is rare in Europe). Electric brakes need weight adjustment, it is not load independent like surge brakes, where only 10% of the total braking force is transmitted to the tow vehicle, which makes brake force inertia related, not black/white unless you manually adjust the brake controller.

Why dont Americans use surge brakes ?? They would say, maintenance is an issue, the brake cables stretch which gives a clunk every time you start braking. It wont brake in reverse on a boat ramp. There is a sliding coupler between tow vehicle and trailer, so the drawbar weight is limited to 250kg for a 3.5 ton setup.

Now when we look at the law, in Europe ABS is mandatory if the axle load of a trailer exceeds 3.5 ton, which means that for 5th wheel trailers, a 12V air brake ABS/EBS kit destined for the US market (European trucks is all 24V) is used in 5th wheel trailers for light vehicles.

The latest thing is an electric over hydraulic brake system. One manufacturer of these trailers makes his own axles based on Iveco light truck parts, and uses a reprogrammed ABS/ESP computer (with a built in G sensor) from Bosch as a braking system. The Dutch importer of Dexter axles, could never really take it up with the big European axle manufacturers, but now he has developed a similar system based on hydraulic braked Dexter axles.

The system just needs a brake light wired up, and when the brake light lights up, the G sensor will sense retardation and build up pressure to help this retardation. AFAIK the ABS functionality is no longer in this ESP controller, because of lack of computing power to do both, but for 5 ton 5th wheels (1.5 ton 5th wheel load, 3.5 ton axle load, so no ABS required) it works quite good. I feel no difference compared to my own surge braked trailer with a new surge head (new slide bushes, new shock absorber, rebuilt wheel brakes) but it does engage smoother than a typical air brake setup.

Weight distributing hitches, it wont work with a surge brake because the coupler sliding pin has to make a stroke to generate brake force. And because of the weight distribution of surge brake trailers (that cant take more than 350kg or 10% tow bar load) there just isnt enough weight on the coupler to make distributing worthwhile.

A system that is popular at caravans, is a ball coupler with built in brake pads to stabilise sway, with high and long caravans that catch a lot of crosswind. The trailer ESP isnt quite so popular yet, only scared people (that cant stay cool and reflex to sway by steering) use it :D

here a German language video focusing on the friction stabilised coupler: It is used just about on caravans or large enclosed trailers only.

AL-KO AKS - YouTube

Al-ko Stabiliser + Al-ko Trailer Control - YouTube

Comparison Test BPW Stability System iDC vs. ATC - YouTube

As you can see here, the maintenance requirement of surge brakes and electric brakes doesnt differ all that much, yet unknown makes unloved, on either side of the Atlantic.

Caravan Servicing - brakes and tyres v2 - YouTube

Adjusting the BPW brake system - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #2,572  
Thats entirely cultural. Ive been around on this site for quite some time now, which gave me interesting insights in the cultural differences between Europe and America. That's why i love this place :)
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I'm excited by the prospect of anti sway electronics becoming inexpensive and reliable.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,573  
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I'm excited by the prospect of anti sway electronics becoming inexpensive and reliable.

I have never felt the need for it with equipment trailers. But large box vans... that's a different story...

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,574  
Here's mine.
IMG_0603_zpsgz7ectsz.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,575  
Picked up the new truck yeaterday

Attachments

• image-1517666868.jpg
    image-1517666868.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 202
  • image-1445003530.jpg
    image-1445003530.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 272
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #2,576  
Here's my new truck that I picked up a few weeks ago. New 2015 Cummins 2500 Tradesman package. Took it on a road trip last week and averaged about 19 mpg so I'm very happy.

Attachments

• image-2697246997.jpg
    image-2697246997.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 213
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #2,578  
Here's my new truck that I picked up a few weeks ago. New 2015 Cummins 2500 Tradesman package. Took it on a road trip last week and averaged about 19 mpg so I'm very happy.

Very nice, I have been looking at the same truck. I would be very interested in a follow up a little later on.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,579  
Very nice, I have been looking at the same truck. I would be very interested in a follow up a little later on.

Definitely will. So far I have been very impressed with it and have towed my tractor only a short distance to a friends house. Unloaded at 75ish I can get about 18.5 and if I'm down to 65 I'll be about 19-19.5.