Page 51 of 262 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101151 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Default Re: Your towing rigs and trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
    Are you obsessed with rear end squat?
    The more the rear end squats the less weight there is on the front wheels which control the truck, so he should be obsessed with rear end squat. I am and so should everyone else that tows anything. My RAM sat perfectly level with my tractor and trailer (7000lbs +/-) and if it squated more then I would have put a load distribution hitch on it.

Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    The more the rear end squats the less weight there is on the front wheels which control the truck, so he should be obsessed with rear end squat. I am and so should everyone else that tows anything. My RAM sat perfectly level with my tractor and trailer (7000lbs +/-) and if it squated more then I would have put a load distribution hitch on it.
    How does the squat from weight of a gooseneck trailer take weight of the front end?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post

Thanks, I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for shifting the thread from personal attacks back to the topic. If you can believe it, the picture I showed of my previous F-350 ford with excessive squat was actually equipped with rear helper springs to get rid of the squat from the factory springs. Even the aftermarket helpers couldn't keep my F-350 from squatting with only a 9K trailer.

Tractor

How does the squat from weight of a gooseneck trailer take weight of the front end?
    The thread topic is "your towing rigs and trailers". As you should be able to see, that could mean gooseneck or bumper pull. When you have bumper pull squat, weight is taken off the front, resulting in loss of steering control and visibility out the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    When you have bumper pull squat, weight is taken off the front,
    Not neccessarilly

Just because one brand squats 1" farther than a another brand, with all else the same, doesn't mean it takes more weight of the front end.

And your original comment was about a GN trailer.

Tractor

I did, right here:
    If you can believe it, the picture I showed of my previous F-350 ord with excessive squat was actually equipped with rear helper springs to get rid of the squat from the factory springs. Even the aftermarket helpers couldn't keep my F-350 from squatting with only a 9K trailer.
    Dmace answered your "obssessed with......." question perfectly.

Tractor

Not neccessarilly

Just because one brand squats 1" farther than a another brand, with all else the same, doesn't mean it takes more weight of the front end.

And your original comment was about a GN trailer.
    My comments were about all trailers. Look at the front end of my truck while towing a light trailer. You can see the front end is up and weight has been taken off the front axle. When I towed heavier equipment, it was worse. That is why I am "obsessed" as you call it, about rear axle squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    My comments were about all trailers. Look at the front end of my truck while towing a light trailer. You can see the front end is up and weight has been taken off the front axle.
    Your kidding right.

Your truck is either lifted or has the extra heavy front springs (for a plow or something?).

Tractor
    Kioti CK30 HST

Any time you put a trailer on your bumper you take weight off your front end,a goose neck fifth wheel moves up the weight dist. foward in which lessens the weight taken off your front end,but over weight even with a goose neck can take away from your front end weight.youd have to mount the hitch point directally in the middle of your vechile.Same way if you loaded your trl at the rear youd take weight off the back of your truck and thats not good if you are over weight. hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak88 View Post
    over weight even with a goose neck can take away from your front end weight.youd have to mount the hitch point directally in the middle of your vechile.
    Proper pin placement for a GN is forward of the rear axle, so how can you take weight off the front axle?

Page 51 of 262 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101151 ... LastLast