Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.

Default GMT900 5.3 question

Good friend of mine recently bought a "new" to him 2013 Silverado with 79000 miles. It was his cousins truck and he bought it off of him. I rode in it with him yesterday and notice the engine idling pretty rough whenever we would sit still. It was very noticeable but I didn't want to say anything to him and upset him about his new truck. It was concerning though. Anyone with a gmt900 with the 5.3 experience rough idle and if so what was the cause of it? If he ever mentions it to me (he had to notice it but maybe was embarrassed to say anything) what can I tell him the problem might be?
    Great grandpa drove blue, grandpa drove green, dad drove red and I drive blue and green

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Quote Originally Posted by RollingsFarms View Post
    Good friend of mine recently bought a "new" to him 2013 Silverado with 79000 miles. It was his cousins truck and he bought it off of him. I rode in it with him yesterday and notice the engine idling pretty rough whenever we would sit still. It was very noticeable but I didn't want to say anything to him and upset him about his new truck. It was concerning though. Anyone with a gmt900 with the 5.3 experience rough idle and if so what was the cause of it? If he ever mentions it to me (he had to notice it but maybe was embarrassed to say anything) what can I tell him the problem might be?
    My Silverado with a 5.3 that has 222,000 miles idles smooth at about 600 rpm.

Silver Member

Default Re: GMT900 5.3 question

My wife sold her '06 1500 crew cab 4x4 chevy 5.3 and bought a '16 1500 crew can 4x4 5.3 chevy.
    The '06 never stumbled and was smooth however her '16 5.3 is even smoother.

Check out some of the GM truck/silverado/sierra websites. If its a common problem those folks will have answers.

Tractor
    jd 1070

Did he just change the battery ? If so, the engine controller looses its calibration settings. Otherwise, a 'check engine' light would be on.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    1997 Daewoo Dsl 801

Friend's 2013 5.3L had a misfire at idle (at 30K miles) that turned out to be a cracked plug. Dealer also replaced valve cover with updated design for some reason (I think there was a TSB on it).

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2920

On my current truck (GMC 6.0), I had some rough idling once, then once about a year later it was idling too fast. Both problems were because of the Idle Air Control. Simple fix was to disconnect the air intake hose and spray throttle body cleaner in it while running. It didn't take much, I still have most of the can left from those two jobs.

It may help, it's a cheap and easy job, tell him try it.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    On my current truck (GMC 6.0), I had some rough idling once, then once about a year later it was idling too fast. Both problems were because of the Idle Air Control. Simple fix was to disconnect the air intake hose and spray throttle body cleaner in it while running. It didn't take much, I still have most of the can left from those two jobs.

It may help, it's a cheap and easy job, tell him try it.
    I don't know if it's related but on GM based fuel injected boat motors 75% of the issues with run ability comes back to one of 3 components. Idle air module, water pressure sensor, and water temperature.

Chris

Tractor
    Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.

Update: it was the battery. It died on him yesterday and I jumped him off. He put in a new AC Delco and it idles fine now. That's crazy a battery can make a truck act like that, although not surprised. My 04 Silverado was going down the road and all of a sudden the gauges died and then the truck started acting very weird like it was trying to die. Replaced the battery and everything went back to normal. The thing I hate about new batteries is they don't give you a warning they're getting weak, they just up and die now days at the worst time.
    Great grandpa drove blue, grandpa drove green, dad drove red and I drive blue and green

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Update: it was the battery. It died on him yesterday and I jumped him off. He put in a new AC Delco and it idles fine now. That's crazy a battery can make a truck act like that, although not surprised. My 04 Silverado was going down the road and all of a sudden the gauges died and then the truck started acting very weird like it was trying to die. Replaced the battery and everything went back to normal. The thing I hate about new batteries is they don't give you a warning they're getting weak, they just up and die now days at the worst time.

This is the very reason I change my auto batteries, boat batteries, tractor batteries, ect at 36 months no matter the condition. It's not worth it to me to be stranded and my mechanic swears 90% of the starters and alternators he replaces the people say "I just put a battery in it".

Makes sense. If the battery is weak the starter works harder to turn over the engine which leads to heat, which leads to resistance, which leads to failure. Then the alternator has to work hard to charge a weak and depleted batter. Again, heat and resistance lead to failure!

Chris

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    This is the very reason I change my auto batteries, boat batteries, tractor batteries, ect at 36 months no matter the condition. It's not worth it to me to be stranded and my mechanic swears 90% of the starters and alternators he replaces the people say "I just put a battery in it".

Makes sense. If the battery is weak the starter works harder to turn over the engine which leads to heat, which leads to resistance, which leads to failure. Then the alternator has to work hard to charge a weak and depleted batter. Again, heat and resistance lead to failure!

Chris

I agree that routine maintenance schedule should include battery replacement at 36 months. Always got used to the idea that you would get several warnings that the battery was going out by having some hard starts. No longer is that the case. And you can't depend on a jump start to keep it running after it starts either.

TBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast