Horse Trailer Question

/ Horse Trailer Question #1  

hayes

Tractor
JD 790
Hello, We are getting ready to buy a 3 h gooseneck, aluminum trailer and are wanting to insulate and panel the
dressing room. How easy is this to do and what materials
are needed?
It doesn't seem that it would be that difficult, but thats the way most projects start out.

If anyone has an idea of what a shop would charge can you tell me?

Thanks
Larry

/ Horse Trailer Question #2  
Hayes,
If you're buying new I would seriously spend the extra and buy one that it's already done in. Yes you can do it yourself pretty easy as well. When you buy the trailer it will already have the studs there. They to insulate just buy the insulation that will fit in between the studs that are there. Usually it will be about 1" insulation. From there you can choose to cover it in anything you want regular wall paneling. Usually you can find the self-drilling aluminum screws to make it easier to do.

Your other option as well is to take it to an aftermarket place that does these. Do a search on living quarters and horse trailers and you will find several that do this.

/ Horse Trailer Question #3  
I was just thinking. Before you put in the insulation and wall board make sure and put in any outlets that you are going to want and wire all of that as well. You are probably going to want to get a converter as well that will convert ac to dc so you can run small things off of your battery. This you can mount somewhere in a boot box or something. Also are you going to want to run water? Are you going to be staying in it? Depending on what you want to do you need to do all of that before you put the insulation and paneling up.

/ Horse Trailer Question
I relized that after reading your first post. I was wanting to wait a while before putting the A/C and eletrical in, as the trailer is exhausting the savings real quick. So I thought that I would just insulate the dressing room for the early months of show season (Mar, Apr, May) then add the A/C. But it looks like I might have to go ahead and do at least the electrical work. The actual A/C unit could probably wait.
Not planning on any water. My wife does Eventing, the shows run on Sat, Sun. We are on grounds Fri night and Sat. night. Some show grounds have showers so water is not a real big issue (As long as you don't stand to close on Sunday ;-) )

Thanks for the info
Larry

/ Horse Trailer Question #5  
Just curious...how much does the dealer want to oufit the dressing area minus the AC unit?

/ Horse Trailer Question #6  
Mike,
From the dealer they usually have a model that has that done in it.

For example from one big dealer you can buy the bare bones dressing room area with nothing for $18k. For $23k you can buy what they call a weekender package that has AC and has the inside finished off with water, sink, cabinets, and sometimes a sink or shower. They usually are around $2k more to insulate and finish off the inside walls and then go up from there depending on what you ahve done.

/ Horse Trailer Question #7  
   / Horse Trailer Question #8  
This three horse slant caught my attention at the rodeo...$52,000+ show price, $58,000+ list. My house on a 100'x100' lot is worth around $30,000...go figure.

Attachments

• 8-115244-IM000025.jpg
    8-115244-IM000025.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 311
   / Horse Trailer Question #9  
From the head, facing forward.

Attachments

• 8-115245-IM000026.jpg
    8-115245-IM000026.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 291
   / Horse Trailer Question #10  
The cargo area.