building a trailer

/ building a trailer #1  

Gizmo36

Platinum Member
Been building a trailer , I am slow it is taking me a long time . May I will get it done one day.

Attachments

• PICT0572.JPG
    PICT0572.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,040
   / building a trailer #2  
Looks good so far. Are you using plans or just winging it? Why I ask is a employee of ours built a trailer and it looked great and towed awful. Getting the axles in the wrong spot can make it a hand full.

Chris.

/ building a trailer
I have some prints on some trailers I have had for years. I am using them, I have build a lot of trailers over the years. I am just slow at it now.

/ building a trailer #4  
Now that looks almost like mine hanging in my garage, mine is 18 feet long and almost 7 foot wide and is the top half of my tilt-bed trailer

I'll be watching for your progress, you will be ahead of me
Stick with it and it will be finished in no time
Jim
:)

/ building a trailer #5  
Just make the frame square and the suspension the same distance from the back on each side. Should pull smooth. You need to bias the axle (s) to the rear so the nose will have 15% of the load transfered to the truck. That makes it behave on the road.

jb

/ building a trailer #6  
Gizmo36
I've built a couple and after I built my first one I learned to measure from the hitch to the spring mounts by measuring an arch from the center of the hitch that keeps the axle in correct track. this eliminates any error in frame.

tom

/ building a trailer #7  
Can you use that trailer on the highway just like that ?
Over here in Holland, all highway trailers above 750 kg total weight, need a license plate of their own, and need to have a type approval.
We cant get home built stuff on the road anymore.

/ building a trailer #8  
Renze
Over here each state is different In Pa under 3000 lbs with out brakes isn't any major problem go over 3000 or add brakes you have to go to an inspection station have them sign a form and sign pictures and show receipts for parts pay taxes on that pay registration and they will send you a vin plate, then back to inspection station for inspection and sticker for trailer which has to be done yearly.

tom

/ building a trailer #9  
In Indiana any trailer over 3000# must have brakes with a brake away system capable of applying the brakes for 15 minutes. If it is homemade you simply get a vin# from the BMV and have a one time inspection by a police officer. I see trucks and trailers pulled over on a daily basis getting spot checked. I live near a major highway, gravel pit, recycling center/junk yard, and landscape center so there are lost of trailers traveling my area.

If in violation they usually get a ticket and 7 days to fix it followed up by another inspection. If you fail to fix the problem your trailer is impounded. The trailer shop 3 miles from my house have been busy for the last two years since they cracked down. The owner said they make 10 times the money selling components and fixing broke trailers versus new trailer sales. The local cops seem to love the guys who mow for a living. The trailers are usually poorly maintained and its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Chris

/ building a trailer
Here in SC I don't need a inspection or a tag for it . not going to be that big of a load.

tommu56 what do you mean an arch from the center of the hitch.