Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot??

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Well, I had been thinking about a dump truck... but have decided that I really don't need another engine, etc. to try to keep running and, it's a single use item.

So, am trying to decide between a 16' and a 20' hydraulic dump trailer.

I have an almost unlimited supply of fill dirt and material piled up on neighboring land down .5 mile of paved county road from my place. So, material is free for the taking and owner wants me to take as much as I can use. And, I need a lot of it... I mean maybe 500 trailer loads or such.

I have Kubota 5030 with FEL, thus can scoop stuff up into trailer.
I want a gooseneck. I have an attachment on the 3ph that will connect to the gooseneck. Also, F350 pickup, gas, small 8 engine. I know the pickup is underpowered, but my trips would be short. It handles my 28' cattle trailer with 15K lbs in it OK... if I drive very carefully!

I figure that I could use either the pickup or tractor to move the gooseneck between material source and the several places where I need to dump it.

Also, there are rock quarries where I can get road base and crushed rock, various sizes, about 5 miles from the house... county road.... pickup would be required to haul the trailer. I would use this material only as road topping, etc. But I anticipate I WOULD need to get 20 or more trailer loads of crushed rock.

Question is, should I get a 16' or 20' dump trailer:confused:
20' benefit is larger pay load and more flexible equipment trailer
16' benefit is less initial outlay, slightly more maneuverable

I don't have an equipment trailer, thus the 20' length would allow me to transport tractor plus equipment comfortably and position the rig so load is balanced. If I got the 16', the same equipment would fit, but absolutely no room for load balancing.

Locally, there are a few 16 ft used dump trailers and even fewer 20' used dump trailers, but they exist.

About 95% of my loads would be .5 mile haul from the neighbor. Traffic is almost never on the county road, constable never seen.

I'm thinking that I'd want to load a trailer very heavy... to its max carrying capacity...I KNOW that you reach the trailer load limit BEFORE you get the dirt more than about 3-4 feet deep in the trailer even tho it may have 6 feet sides. Purpose is to reduce the total number of .5 mile trips. Thus, I'd load each to max trailer capacity.

BUT... if the reality is that with the pickup I have and the tractor that I would NEVER be able to benefit from the extra load capacity of the 20', then the only benefit of the 20' would be as an equipment trailer.

Both trailers would be double axle, dual wheels. 20K or 21K lbs seems to be the typical 16' capacity... based often on axles. The 20' trailers also seem to have either 2 10K axles or 2 12K axles, thus 20K to 24K lb capacity.

Note, I'm retired, so can spread this activity out over time, but I don't want it to take forever, either! I'd rather spend $$ on equipment than have the material hauled in.

Given what I've said, towing equipment in hand, material availability, etc... if you were in the same situation, would you go for 16' or 20' dump trailer??

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #2  
Here's my opinion - if you definitely want to trailer your equip., you almost have to go with the 20'. I'm pretty sure you would see that you need the room to get the tongue weight right, depending on what implements you have attached.

My Anderson 12' dump has 2' high metal sides and I have overloaded it with 6 tons many times with sand & gravel(scaled weight). A 6 ton pile uses about 2/3 of the bed without going higher than the sides. Physically my bed would hold 10 tons I'm sure, level with the sides. The trailer is only rated for 6 tons and it weighs 3,000 lbs. itself. Since you'll be loading yourself and I assume not using a scale, better be careful - especially if you go with the 20' trailer - the pile will look small in that big box but will weigh plenty. Also, be sure and keep the majority of the weight over your axles and rearward some - I've had to get in there and shovel some off the front a few times to get the hydraulics to pick it up when I've been loaded with a 12' wide loader bucket!! Good luck on your shopping, hope you find a good deal.

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #3  
Your answer is in your post/question

The 20 footer

and careful loading it

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #4  
I would think that you could get way over CDL range with either one! That probably isn't a fear for you , but if caught could be an issue.

For the job, I would go with a dump truck. Better chance of the hydraulics actually being able to dump the bed out. You can probably buy a worker for 3-4k, use it and sell it for the same money when you're done.

jb

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #5  
john_bud said:
I would think that you could get way over CDL range with either one! That probably isn't a fear for you , but if caught could be an issue.

For the job, I would go with a dump truck. Better chance of the hydraulics actually being able to dump the bed out. You can probably buy a worker for 3-4k, use it and sell it for the same money when you're done.

jb

Follow JB's advice, you will be much more productive; manuevering a 20' DT will be a PITA, plus the constant unloading problems if you have a confined areas. I went the dump-truck route 20 yrs ago thinking it would be a short term affair. They are so useful, that I still have the truck, and never plan to sell it. You will always get your money back, unless you beat it to death! I have a 78' Ford F-350 dually with a 351 cu. in. Cleveland engine and have put up to 5 yds of material in it on my property. Calif. will license them to 14,000#! The Ford weighs 6600# empty. I upgraded the tires to 3000# capacity also.

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot??
oh, goodness me... this is getting hard..... see, I agree with everybody's points... I think I'm stuck on the point of a dilema:eek:

All used dump trailers I've found so far do NOT have removable sides.. which would be grand so I could use the trailer as a flatbed for hauling hay and equipment easily... something like this trailer. Which meets my hauling needs for hay, dirt and equipment but is as much as $4000 more than the same used trailer with welded sides.

Or, I could get a dump truck like this. It meets my dirt hauling needs only...one third the cost and one third the functionality... plus extra maintence cost.

I think that I'll ponder on this a little longer... and keep my eyes open... maybe find some sort of tie breaker or extra special deal/price that will resolve the dilema...

Thanks to everybody for your ideas....

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #7  
Texas,

It sounded like your dirt hauling needs will be short term. So you can get a dump truck, do the dirty and sell it off to get a trailer. Then again, if you have the $$ a DT will probably haul the trailer with less strain... so buy both!

God, I love spending other peoples money! I wonder if there are any open seats in congress or the senate?

jb

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot??
Well, JB, you know how it is... if you get the right tool, then it finds uses you never imagined and you just can't get rid of it... Maybe I do need both... lemme think about that, too;)

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #9  
texasjohn said:
Well, JB, you know how it is... if you get the right tool, then it finds uses you never imagined and you just can't get rid of it... Maybe I do need both... lemme think about that, too;)

"TJ": That 82' INTL with 124k, if it runs and drives decent, would be a good choice for your projects. If the mileage is correct; it's been used less than 5k/yr? I would make sure it original life wasn't in the "rust belt?" For that price or maybe less; if the drive train/ engine sounds normal I would be tempted to go for it? Then, get a trailer of your choice with a pintle hitch for tractor and implements. Everytime you use that dump-truck, it will put a smile on your face! Keep doing your homework to give yourself peace of mind, before spending those dollars.

I noticed on the 20k dump-trailer they didn't show any empty weight; unless I missed it?

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #10  
I am half owner of a 16ft tripple axle dump trailer with 4ft sides, it weighs 6800lbs empty. One heaping bucket full of crushed concrete from one of them big loaders is over 9 tons.
I want you to know 25k behind a one ton truck is not fun. Also if the actuator on the trailer is not up to the task then you will be using the tractor FEL to remove material from the trailer so it can dump....I've been down that route:(
The actuator need to be atleast a 18 ton model...just so it will dump anything you happen to put in it by accident.

These trailers are not like the commercial ones where they can fill em up to the top.

For just a dump trailer, I would go with a 16 footer with dual tandem 12k axles and 18 ton actuator. And barn doors on the back with a good latch system.