1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer...

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #1  

MacLawn

Veteran Member
Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
Tractor
JD 2210
Subject says it all, almost. I have a mobile home, 1964, 10'x50', that I want to make into a flatbed trailer. I searched this forum, and now am having some doubts about doing this after a few things I read about laws, etc. regarding using old mobile homes for trailers. The widest part will be 7'8", and bed will be 6'10". It has the old wheels with washer-type things that the lug nuts tighten onto, and neighbor said they might not be legal now. Also, frame might not be suited for a hauling trailer.

I cut the back off where it should be for 18' properly aligning the wheels, will cut front off when I have time, then work on deck, etc.

Any of y'all boys have experience with this type of converted trailer?

Last edited:
   / 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #2  
Check the tire sidewalls. They may say for mobile home use only, not DOT approved. The tires (probably 7.00 x 14) could be changed to a trailer tire though if you want to continue building your trailer. Check with your local DMV for the requirements for building your own trailer since you don't have a registration for a mobile home. The mobile home axles may not even be legal for use as a regular trailer. Here they are listed as limited use only for moving mobile homes. I built one a few years ago but have since sold it and bought new. In my state it takes quite a bit of paperwork to build your own, then it it has to be state inspected before they will issue a vin#. I dont know if its the same where you are.

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #3  
MacLawn said:
Subject says it all, almost. I have a mobile home, 1964, 10'x50', that I want to make into a flatbed trailer. I searched this forum, and now am having some doubts about doing this after a few things I read about laws, etc. regarding using old mobile homes for trailers. The widest part will be 7'8", and bed will be 6'10". It has the old wheels with washer-type things that the lug nuts tighten onto, and neighbor said they might not be legal now. Also, frame might not be suited for a hauling trailer.

I cut the back off where it should be for 18' properly aligning the wheels, will cut front off when I have time, then work on deck, etc.

Any of y'all boys have experience with this type of converted trailer?
Are you sure this is legal??????????

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer...
LBrown, no need to SHOUT!!! And yell and scream as you did, by using such large fonts and bold red! In case you do not know internet forum etiquette, you shouted quite loudly by writing as you did.

Do not worry about me, I will make sure it is legal in my state, and any other state I might possibly tow it in. Plus, it cannot even be registered if it was not legal in my state. I will keep you posted.

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #5  
In Maryland, which is known for its' regulation of everything, you can use mobile home axles and tires. When you complete your hombuilt trailer all you do is take it to the MVA and they inspect it and issue a VIN. The only problem I encountered getting a 16" flat bed trailer with mobile home axles and tires inspected was they required fenders to be installed. I did so and the trailer was passed. Even mobile home tires have to be better than the Chinese trailer tires being installed by many trailer manufacturers today as approved by DOT.
The one down side to mobile home axles is that on some makes it requires the replacement of the entire brake backing plate and all attached brake parts when the shoes wear out.

psj12 said:
In Maryland, you can use mobile home axles and tires. Even mobile home tires have to be better than the Chinese trailer tires being installed by many trailer manufacturers today as approved by DOT.
The one down side to mobile home axles is that on some makes it requires the replacement of the entire brake backing plate and all attached brake parts when the shoes wear out.

Thanks psj; that is very helpful information. It will help me a lot to continue with this job. Right about the Chinese tires - the present OLD tires even are still holding air, after having sat for 32 years! Of course I will replace them with good new tires, probably made in China...

Anyway, today, I plan to call my state DOT and others to check on what I need to do, width, etc.

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #7  
psj12 said:
In Maryland, which is known for its' regulation of everything, you can use mobile home axles and tires. When you complete your hombuilt trailer all you do is take it to the MVA and they inspect it and issue a VIN.

While close, not entirely accurate. You get the paperwork from the MVA, the inspection is done by a certified mechanic's shop (state certified), then if all is ok, a VIN is issued.

And, JFG, there is a difference between "mobile home" axles and UTG style axles. There are 14.5 x 6 and 14.5 x 7" rims. Tires can be had up to load range G

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #8  
In my experience, there's nothing realy worth saving or trying to build from a mobile home. They use the bare minimums and lightest materials possible.

What are you building the trailer to haul? If it's any sort of load at all, the axles will fail you in time. They just don'e last. Tires are just about impossible to get since they are odd sizes and not readily available at tire stores.

If you have the skills to build a trialer yourself, do it right and start from scratch. But before you decide to do this, you might look around at brand new or lightly used. I started pricing axles, steel and other materials and realized I could buy brand new for less.

Eddie

Thanks, all, and especially Eddie in last post. You answered my questions fully, and I will proceed this week (after the terrible heat we are having lets up!) with dismantling the trailer and giving the steel to my welder nephew. It will not become a trailer after all... No problem, I just wondered if I could turn it into one, and this forum helped me with my decision; thanks again guys!

P.S. Eddie - Nice hog you got there!

/ 1964 Mobile Home into 18' trailer... #10  
One good use, if you need is ofroad. I made three trailers out of one of these about 10 years ago.Dont have to wory with offroad.