New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #1  

DieselPower

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170
Just thought I would make a quick post about a new 1 ton dullie P/U powered by a Cummins 6.7L engine with either a Mercedes-Benz G56 six speed or Aisiin AS68RC six speed automatic transmission that will be hitting the showrooms very soon. It's the Sterling Bullet. The Class 3 truck should hit the show rooms later this year and the Class 4 and 5 versions will hit early in 2008.

The Sterling Bullet -- Nothing Stops The Bullet

Bullet11.jpg

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #2  
It and its specifications look very suspiciously like a rebadged Dodge Ram. Am I right? Is Sterling part of Daimler Benz (formerly DCX) and does this have something to do with the finalization of the Daimler/Chrysler split within the last week?

I am confused because in the past I had associated Sterling with Ford.

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet
Yep, it's more or less a rebadged Dodge from what I can see and have read about them. It does look however that the Bullet will be a commercial chassis only, ie. no bed / stripped chassis and might come with some commercial application options that you wouldn't be able to get with a Dodge.

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #4  
Z-Michigan said:
It and its specifications look very suspiciously like a rebadged Dodge Ram. Am I right? Is Sterling part of Daimler Benz (formerly DCX) and does this have something to do with the finalization of the Daimler/Chrysler split within the last week?

I am confused because in the past I had associated Sterling with Ford.

It is a Dodge with a Sterling badge and some slight changes in specs.

M-B/ Daimler bought the Ford Louisville division, and bought the rights to the old Sterling truck brand name, instant new truck company. M-B also owns Freightliner and Detoit diesel.

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #5  
Sterling was founded by Freightliner LLC in 1998 as a new subsidiary with its own distribution network and distinctive product offerings. Freightliner LLC is a DaimlerChrysler company, the world's leading commercial vehicle manufacturer.
Sterling Trucks - Company Overview

It's just a rebadged Dodge Ram. I would rather have the Dodge, the crosshair grille is so much better looking.

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #6  
Does this mean Dodge is looking for a way out of the Cummins relationship it has, because of who now owns Cummins?
David from jax

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #7  
sandman2234 said:
Does this mean Dodge is looking for a way out of the Cummins relationship it has, because of who now owns Cummins?
David from jax

Then who's going to build Diesels for Dodge ? Are they going to put the same engine in the Dodge as they put in the european Mercedes Atego and Axor distribution ranges, with 4.8 liter 4cyl engine of 220hp, 6.37 liter 6 cylinder engine up to 280 hp and 7.2 liter 6 cylinder engines up to 330 hp ??

Well if its true that Daimler Chrysler are going to split, i cant see Dodge/Chrysler taking up stronger ties with MB....

By the way, i just see that Sterling is using lots and lots of European Mercedes Benz components.... i didnt know that...

Last edited:
   / New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #8  
Who bought Cummins? All the info I can find says that Cummins is still independent.

Regardless, Dodge would be retarded to use any diesels other than Cummins - it's their main selling point.

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #9  
Toiyabe, i agree with you: I dont know what Mercedes reputation is in America, but in europe they have lost customer confidence big time the last 10 years.
Having a Mercedes engine would definately NOT be a selling point for an independent truck manufacturer in Europe.

Cummins has a great name, and they can make it come true. Dodge and Cummins are connected like Bonnie and Clyde, Laurel and Hardy. Changeing that will cost them customers.

/ New 1 Ton P/U on the Market. Sterling Bullet #10  
sandman2234 said:
David from jax
I doubt it,,, I can't remember what the stock newsletter stated, but, something like a ten year renewal contract signed earlier this year,.. I highly doubt Dodge would rid itself of a proven thing,, (Cummins) motors in their product. The Sterling is a rebadged Dodge. I have a new 07, 6.7 one ton myself, Does all I ask of it and more, flawlessly.