Trailer Tires Only???

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #21  
Tire Tread Separation Anxiety - Discount Tire Co.

The discussion about using trailer tires only...comes into play when your trailers GVWR is at least 12000 lbs and up...That's because the air pressure in your trailer tires at those weights are 80 lbs and up...Passenger tires side walls won't cut those pressures...and alot of LT tires are going to be reaching their operational limits...Goodyear 614rst is best out there...at this time...:D

Goodyear RV Tires || Unisteel® G614 RST®

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #22  
TwinWillows said:
Since then I've been told that the Box stores have all kinds of "legal" rules regarding P tires for vehicles only & ST for trailers. The part that's not helpful is neither place stocked any ST tires. Go figure!!

I spoke to a manager at a "box store" about this issue. (Only putting EXACT OEM spec'ed tire on). The reason behind it is that some of the worker bee's were putting on under spec'ed tires. You know, 6 ply where the truck calls for 10 ply. Things like that. Blow outs and lawsuits followed. Legal departments made a royal proclamation, " By the book only, no room for thought - our workers are not paid to think".

You get the idea. I disagree with it on some levels and agree on other levels. Many workers today are NOT capable of understanding load matching of tires to applications. A few are. It's sad, but that's what I was told. Who knows if it is accurate, it sounds plausable to me. I was told that if I wanted to upgrade tires, to bring in the rims off the vehicle and say it was for a vehicle that takes that size. (What's the world coming to?)

jb

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #23  
john_bud said:
I was told that if I wanted to upgrade tires, to bring in the rims off the vehicle and say it was for a vehicle that takes that size. (What's the world coming to?)
jb
Ran into the same issue on my car tires recently and was going to have to take the old tires on their rims to one dealer to get them removed... and then to another dealer to get the new tires (ordered through the Internet) mounted. Couldn't just take them all to one place as... car or no car... they would not remove and then mount a different size tire on the same rim. I ended up just staying with the original size anyway. Turned out later to be a really good thing after I found out that the ever-so-slightly larger tire size would have rubbed on the front struts! :eek: Never thought about that potential interference point! :eek:

In a similar liability-related battle... years ago, I tried to buy a new generic dual-axle powerboat trailer which I intended to convert to a sailboat trailer. No one would sell one to me without knowing the specific powerboat it was going to haul. No matter how much I begged, bribed, fibbed and/or threatened... it was "No boat, No sale"!!! :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #24  
Yeah the legal stuff is getting to be a pain. Went to buy 3 Honda ATVs at once some years back. The dealer told me for liability reasons he could only sell me ONE for me since I mentioned the other TWO were for my boys, both under 16 at the time.

Ok so lets try this again- walked out the front door, walked back in and said I want that ATV over there and 2 more just like it for spares.:cool: Then the really screwy part was Honda actually provided free ATV safety training and PAID one $50 to take it, but the boys weren't allowed to take it because of their age! Now who needed it more?:cool:

To keep this sort of on topic I did haul the 3 ATVs on a trailer...with ...tires!

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #25  
PaulChristenson said:
Tire Tread Separation Anxiety - Discount Tire Co.

The discussion about using trailer tires only...comes into play when your trailers GVWR is at least 12000 lbs and up...That's because the air pressure in your trailer tires at those weights are 80 lbs and up...Passenger tires side walls won't cut those pressures...and alot of LT tires are going to be reaching their operational limits...Goodyear 614rst is best out there...at this time...:D

Goodyear RV Tires || Unisteelョ G614 RSTョ

AMEN!

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #26  
What he said (Jim Brown).
More carbon, less UV breakdown, better able to stand up to off-road, scrubbing, stronger carcase, etc. For MOST trailer users the UV breakdown resistance is GOOD, because they would otherwise rot out before they would wear out.
One more thing; speed rated to 65 MPH - most people ignore/forget that.
For the way I trailer it doesn't matter.

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #27  
Mahana79 said:
i wont have a Radial tire whether it be a ST/P/LT or antying else for that matter on my trailers. I will only run bias ply tires int he correct load range or one higher than it needs. i dont think a radial handles the tire scrub near as well as a biad tire does. i think that is what leads to the tread peeling off of radials. make some sharp turns and you can see the tires scrub. Add some more weight and that tire scrub is amplified. Can you imagine what it is doing to the steel belts in the tread area?? pulling and twisting them?? no thanks. the fabric ply's are better suited to handle that type of stress. will i get less miles out of them?? maybe/probably but i would ranther replace tires than repair fenders from the tread peeling off. utility fenders not too bad but you take a RV that has has the tread peel off. you got all kinds of stuff messed up and some expensive repair bills.

Bias Ply Tires all the way :D :D :D

I have been wondering about the scrubbing i have on my dump trailer. My 24' gooseneck doesn't rub at all - it had bias ply. I might have to put bias ply tires.

Also, if I get over 50-55 mph with the dump trailer really loaded - the rear of it likes to sway. It is a bumper pull trailer. I am beginning to wish I had bought a gooseneck.

Comments on the swaying?

D.

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #28  
I think the best response to scrubbing trailer tires on curbs is to stay off them. It takes a little practice and a good set of mirrors doesn't hurt, but can be accomplished in almost every instance. If tractor trailers can even make the turn, then we ought to be able to do it without getting close to it(even if they take out the whole curb).
Most of the time scrubbing a tire on the corner is done from not anticipating how much distance it takes to make the corner with the trailer, or just plain "forgetting" that it is back there when we start into a turn. Once committed, it is hard to undo the track of a trailer.
Not pointing any fingers here, just pointing out that hauling a trailer requires a lot more attention than most of us give it, especially if you don't haul one regularly or you are tired. Even people that haul them regularly have caught themselves in circumstances where they clip a curb or even a telephone pole that they could have avoided had they set up the vehicle correctly and paid attention. (BTDT) Whenever I clip a curb, I try to retrace my steps and the next time I pay particular attention and usually can make it without hitting the curb. Doing that will make you a better driver and save your tires.
David from jax

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #29  
I am talking about scrubbing on the frame rails, not curbs. Heck, we don't have any curbs out here.

D.

/ Trailer Tires Only??? #30  
sandman2234 said:
I think the best response to scrubbing trailer tires on curbs is to stay off them. It takes a little practice and a good set of mirrors doesn't hurt, but can be accomplished in almost every instance.
Hi Dave - I'm not so sure that Mahana79 was talking about hitting curbs so much as simply taking tight turns wherein the rear (or sometimes front trailer tires) can't turn and track perfectly with the fronts... causing them to scuff sideways a bit. This was a key reason I went with all-new, larger tires on my dual axle equipment trailer instead of simply adding a third axle behind the first two (in order to increase tire load safety margin). Fact is that I now wish I had focused more on the third axle option despite the scrubbing issue... as I am still bottoming out on my badly reconstructed (i.e., extremely crowned) road each time I back out of my steep driveway... even with larger diameter wheels and tires installed. :rolleyes:

I really *LOVE* my town DPW. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dougster