Give me some trailer opinions/advice

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Hey guys,

So I am looking a bit into getting a trailer to haul my tractor with.

I found the following trailer on Craigslist:

6x12 two axle trailer

It is a 6x12 trailer, 2 axles (both are brake axles), with a regular hitch (can't afford a gooseneck right now :().

Brakes need to be fixed, and I sent the seller an email asking if everything else (suspension, tires, floor, etc.) checked out.

He said he would fix one of the brake axles and sell the trailer for $800, and would sell the trailer without the brakes being fixed for $700.

So on to the questions:

I measured my tractor with the bush hog on, this is the longest setup that I can think of that I would have to trailer with.

P1010111-1.jpg

P1010113-1.jpg

From the weight box on the front of the tractor to the end of the wheel on the bush hog it measures 172 inches, a bit over 14 feet.

P1010112-1.jpg

From the weight box to the front tire, it measures 18".

P1010114-1.jpg

So, would this be enough trailer? Could I leave the front of the tractor hanging over the edge, or turn the tractor around and have the bush hog part way over the front lip of the floor on the trailer?

Or do I just need to look for a bigger trailer?

Thanks for any help!

Dennis

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #2  
Seems to me like that would be a lot of tongue weight. If you put it on backwards it would not be enough. IMO anything over 4000 pounds needs brakes on both axles. I would go for a longer trailer. I am on the search myself and they are not cheap.

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #3  
Brakes on both axles are required in some jurisdictions.

I would suggest a bigger trailer. You are already talking about letting stuff hang over. Still, the price seems OK, and he may negotiate. Might be worth picking up and hanging on to.

Are there ramps, or is it a tilt trailer? I can't tell from the pictures. I would ask if he knows why the brakes don't work. If it is just wiring, it should be a simple fix. If it isn't, it could get expensive.

If the axles aren't dexters, it might be hard to find parts.

Good trailers at a reasonable price don't last long. If you want it, it might be a good idea to move on it sooner rather than later.

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #4  
It does not give the rating of the axles or tire type.

If the brakes are Dexter it's about $100 per wheel for a complete brake kit that just bolts on. This does not include the drums.

The suspension linkage condition is not mentioned. [these do wear out as I well know. My trailer is sitting with a broken drag link waiting for repairs tomorrow.]

The trailer does seem a little short for your needs. A visual inspection would be best to determine if it will meet your needs.

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #5  
BTW if he does fix the brakes they need to be working on the rear axle.
Brakes on just the front is incorrect on a tandem, they'll slide the tires way too easily there. The equalizers on tandems shift weight to the rear axle under braking so they have more traction than the front.
Personally I won't own a trailer without brakes on both axles and as mentioned it isn't legal everywhere to have it on just one- and for good reason.

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #7  
Hi Dennis,

That's not a bad deal, moneywise. But, you should also think about what else you may want use your trailer for, (not just for hauling your tractor). If you think 12 feet is long enough for future projects, then get it. But, I think a 16 footer may be a better size for all around use. You never know...in the future, you may want to haul an auto or dare I say...get a larger tractor. Don't cut yourself too short, and don't just look at dollars.

Skyco's right about the rear axle getting the brake. The truck's brakes when applied will cause the trailer hitch to nose upward. That will cause the rear of the trailer, (rear axle), to angle down. The rear axle will get most of the weight in that situation. I don't know why trailer makers put the durn brakes on the front axle instead of the rear!

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #8  
Get the 16' trailer. You will be able to position the tractor for best weight distribution easier. You may get and FEL in the future and that would add 3' to the length.

jb

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #9  
Go big or go home.

Take it from me, seems like everything I buy I have buyer's remorse cause it's too small. You'll have more room to catty other stuff and if you rent something bigger, the 16' will have better chance of holding it than a 12'.

/ Give me some trailer opinions/advice #10  
john_bud said:
Get the 16' trailer. You will be able to position the tractor for best weight distribution easier. You may get and FEL in the future and that would add 3' to the length.

jb

Agree...and all you need is a landscape trailer...new $1900 max...