Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake?

/ Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake? #1  

MrJimi

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Case 1845 C Skid steer
I have been thinking and I know this would be a nice feature if it won't kill a battery in no time and also would make a great theft deterrent with a hidden key switch ( Shhh )
And without towing vehicle attached

:)

/ Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake? #2  
As a theft deterent one could hide a motorcycle battery & a motion switch wired directly into the brake wires. If your breakaway battery is in a locked box it could be wired the same way. :rolleyes: You'd have to keep in mind that thieves have little to loose in the way of cutting wires, etc so some type of flexible conduits to the wheels might be prudent. MikeD74T

/ Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake? #3  
At about 2 amps per brake your battery isn't gonna last long! There might also be issues with heating if you had enough battery to run them for long...
There actually is a parking brake option on some electric brakes but it is operated mechanically via a lever rather than the electric route...

/ Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake? #4  
There is another good thing about air brakes is you must have air pressure or know how to cage the cans in order to just move the trailer.

Trying to use electric brakes as a parking brake would be pretty futile.

/ Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake? #5  
In high school my good buddy lived in a duplex. On the other side a delivery guy lived. He tried to do that exact thing. About 3 AM the battery failed and the trailer rolled down the hill and crashed into one car and was bounced across the street where it hit a second car then bounced off that one and across a lawn and into a house thru a large plate glass window.

To add salt to the wound, the insurance wouldn't cover the damage as he had intentionally "modified" the brake system. I think they eventually did cover some, but it was so long ago I can't be sure.
jb

/ Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake? #6  
john_bud said:
In high school my good buddy lived in a duplex. On the other side a delivery guy lived. He tried to do that exact thing. About 3 AM the battery failed and the trailer rolled down the hill and crashed into one car and was bounced across the street where it hit a second car then bounced off that one and across a lawn and into a house thru a large plate glass window.

To add salt to the wound, the insurance wouldn't cover the damage as he had intentionally "modified" the brake system. I think they eventually did cover some, but it was so long ago I can't be sure.
jb

Geez...when it rains...IT POURS...:D