Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Default Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake?

I have been thinking and I know this would be a nice feature if it won't kill a battery in no time and also would make a great theft deterrent with a hidden key switch ( Shhh )
    And without towing vehicle attached

Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Default Re: Can electric brakes be used as a parking brake?

As a theft deterent one could hide a motorcycle battery & a motion switch wired directly into the brake wires. If your breakaway battery is in a locked box it could be wired the same way. You'd have to keep in mind that thieves have little to loose in the way of cutting wires, etc so some type of flexible conduits to the wheels might be prudent. MikeD74T

At about 2 amps per brake your battery isn't gonna last long! There might also be issues with heating if you had enough battery to run them for long...
    There actually is a parking brake option on some electric brakes but it is operated mechanically via a lever rather than the electric route...

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

There is another good thing about air brakes is you must have air pressure or know how to cage the cans in order to just move the trailer.

Trying to use electric brakes as a parking brake would be pretty futile.

In high school my good buddy lived in a duplex. On the other side a delivery guy lived. He tried to do that exact thing. About 3 AM the battery failed and the trailer rolled down the hill and crashed into one car and was bounced across the street where it hit a second car then bounced off that one and across a lawn and into a house thru a large plate glass window.

To add salt to the wound, the insurance wouldn't cover the damage as he had intentionally "modified" the brake system. I think they eventually did cover some, but it was so long ago I can't be sure.
    jb

Tractor
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    In high school my good buddy lived in a duplex. On the other side a delivery guy lived. He tried to do that exact thing. About 3 AM the battery failed and the trailer rolled down the hill and crashed into one car and was bounced across the street where it hit a second car then bounced off that one and across a lawn and into a house thru a large plate glass window.

To add salt to the wound, the insurance wouldn't cover the damage as he had intentionally "modified" the brake system. I think they eventually did cover some, but it was so long ago I can't be sure.
    jb
    Geez...when it rains...IT POURS...