Chev HD 3500 Diesel ???

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I don' t want to start a truck kicking contest. But I have a few question on a 1994 HD 3500 with a diesel engine, (6.2 I think) For over 30 years all my bread and butter trucks have been Fords, from my Ranger to F450. All have been used when purchased and that was what was available at the time of purchase and have served me pretty well. I do have a Chev 5500 low prow with a dump on it and a GMC septic pumper which I like. When I started out in the towing business years ago I found that the F350 were lacking braking ability. Even empty, just marginal and you get a big car on the hook, it made your hemroids pucker up. I went to F450 with rear disc brakes and seemed to have good braking ability, loaded. I got out of the towing a business a few years ago, semi retired and got into the ecv. business. My first little dump was a F350 again. Rated at 10,000 gvw and when fully loaded just didnt have the brakes needed to be safe. I later got a F450 (they have rear disc brakes and I understand F350 have rear disc after 1998) and it was rated at 15,000. I could haul about 18,000 and still have pretty good brakes. I later got a Chev 5500 for a dump. My question is, I now have a 1997 F350, 73 diesel with a Reading utility bed on it to haul all necessary tools. It is rated at 10,000 GVW. The brakes have been thourghly checked out and are ok. The brakes are just barely acceptable in a emergency. I pull a 12000 GVW trailer. (I am told that over 10,000 in our state you need a cdl, but they dont seem to enforce it as long as you are pulling with a 1 ton) I pull a small back hoe which weighs about 9000 making it about the max GVW on the trailer. The 7.3 handels it fine. I just hauled a dozer from Okla. got good fuel milage and could keep up with the traffic on hills fine. The brakes on the trailer work excellent but just marginal on the truck. And in a real emergency, panic, lock up, I wonder if the tuck would stop. I have a chance to purchase a 1994 HD 3500 Diesel with a Stal utility bed (the newer style with rounded sides) The truck seems to have every option on it, Elec door lock, windows, cruse, power seats, curse, tilt, and the HD has rear disc brakes. It is so nice inside it makes me feel guilty using it in my business. My F350 has 180,000 miles on it and I have no idea how many these 7.3 are good for. But I do know it is heck of a engine and I have never had any trouble out of any of the 7.3 I have had... The Chev I am looking at has 119,000 miles on it and a contractor is liquidating. Question, What is it worth. and some have told me to stay away from the older Chev diesels. I think this would solve by braking problem as it would be a slightly heaiver truck (I dont know the GVW Rating, probably around 14k or 15, got to check it out, may put me into cdl, pulling trailer) but some have told me to stay away from the Chev diesel. How many miles can I expect out of this engine , ( I have heard some horror stories) and will this engine have enough performance to pull my trailer and back hoe? How will it compare to the 7.3? Both trucks are standared trans. My Ford is a 1997 and I probably just get enough out of it to purchase the 1994 Chev. Like I said, I have had to buy used and what was available and a price I could afford. I think I could work this deal out, but have questions on the Chev diesel with enough power and the durability of it. Any one with HD 3500 diesel knowledge or other opinon, jump in, just no truck war. ( yeh I know who dont you just get a F450) I would if I could afford it) (sorry Dodge with cummings, I left you out)

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #2  
Personally I avoid the 6.2L and 6.5 engines like the plague. Having worked at a GM dealership as a truck mechanic and previously at a Ford dealership the old GM diesels would be my last pick. In my opinion there is one place for a 6.2 or 6.5. Attached to a very long piece of chain and on the underside of a boat, a boat anchor. One of the reasons I left the GM dealership was because I got tired of working on those engines. After countless head gasket jobs, injectors, injector drive modules and injection pumps I just got tired of working on them. My suggestion would be a Ford or a Dodge.

Probably a cheaper solution to your problem would be to upgrade the rear brakes on your existing truck. You seem to be happy with how it pulls. Why not just do a disc brake conversion on it?

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #3  
Keep the FORD. The 7.3 is a great engine, last forever, tons of parts and guys who know how to work on them. My friend has a 6.5 Chevy and the injector pump alone cost big $$$, I think it was like $3,500. It is also the weakest diesel I have ever driven. It would not pull a greased hair out of donkeys ***. My 2007 1/2 ton 4x4 gasser with 3.73's has just as much power and grunt.

Just simply get on line and buy a rear disc brake kit for your truck. You will probably have to change some other items like the master cylinder but you know what you have when you are done.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #4  
While I happen to like the 6.5TD (that is probably what is in that '94), I wouldn't back up from a 97 Ford to an older chevy. Sounds like you have been happy w/ Fords and you probably have a lot of stored data on "how they break" just like I do w/ Chevrolets. I have owned 2 6.5TDs and been perfectly happy w/ them. My current truck is a 97 K3500 Crew Cab and it has pulled everything I have put behind it. I haven't broken any land speed records, but the truck will get me a ticket in any state in the union.
Once again, I would stick w/ what you know and it sounds like you have a lot of experience w/ Fords. I have been driving Chevy diesels since the 5.7 we had in a '78 1/2 ton. We had a Ford and a Dodge somewhere in there too, but I have always liked having a GM truck wrapped around me.
While I don't agree on the 6.5 being the dog everyone else says it is, I don't think you would be happy w/ once after a long relationship w/ FoMoCo.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ???
I was afraid thats what every one would say. Too bad GM cant build a dicent diesel. Too bad it does'nt have a 7.3 in it, sure would be a nice truck. I have located a rear end off of a 98 with disc brakes. Probably be a winter project. By the way Dieselpower. I have a small dozer (Mitsubishi) and the manuel says CC oil for it, SAE 30, and cd. 10 for the transmission case. I dont find that listing on my bottle of oil. What is the differance in ce and cd. (is cc a detergant oil? I think the book is wrong. For the engine I just used 15-40. But am confused on the cd for the transmission. Is it detergant or non detergant. (I thought it was detergant).

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #6  
Both the CC and CD are obsolete API rated diesel engine oils.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/EngineOilGuide2006.pdf

Probably the easiest thing for you to find would be 10W/30 engine oil for the engine. For the transmission I would use a good UTF oil if it's calling for a 10 weight oil. The UTF will be a little thicker but is a multi-viscosity oil that should offer better protection at high temperatures.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #7  
..Too bad GM cant build a dicent diesel.

WHAT are you kidding me. Prior to the Duramax, I would agree, and after the 7.3 Ford has yet to build a good diesel engine.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #8  
Keep the 7.3. I ain't heard a bad thing about them yet. I have an 05 duramax and like it, but you have a good truck if it isn't a rust bucket. Put some cash into it and forget the payments.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ???
Kendall69 said:
WHAT are you kidding me. Prior to the Duramax, I would agree, and after the 7.3 Ford has yet to build a good diesel engine.
I dont think Ford ever did build the 7.3 It was built by International. Thats what Chev. should have done, contracted with Int. or Cummings to furnish their engines. I know a friend who had the Duramax in his tow trucks and he has already had more than his share of troubles and very expensive to repair and is already replaceing thelm with Fords. I wish this truck had a good engine. I would buy it in a minute. GM is trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to diesel engines.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #10