Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500

/ Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500 #1  

EastTnFarmboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 ROPs FEL, JD LX277, Ferris 3100Z
We have a '00 Ram 3500 with dual rear wheels (diesel). It is a quad cab long bed. I have considered replacing the factory bed with a dump bed of some kind--similar to what you see on a cab/chassis setup. Has anyone else done this to a stock truck?

I was just wondering how complicated and expensive a project like this would be. I don't know whether we would be better off just trading for a rig already setup like that or modifying what we already have. We would have to hire someone else to make the modifications.

Thoughts??

/ Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500 #3  
I have an aluminum flatbed on my 97' Dodge dually that was an add on. It does not dump though I wish it would. The bed does not have deep frame rails as it was not meant to dump so it would not be so easy to change.

Around me, I have any number of companies who will do the conversion, many of whom make their own beds as well. Your budget is not the only limit though.

I do not follow the Dodge threads much these days but I do recall reading about frames being bent by overloading. Notice that it is only the more recent years that have been offered with a larger cab over a standared C&C.

If you go for it, and I would, just keep it within the GVWR and take it easy when you have the bed up while dumping.

/ Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500
   / Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500 #6  
I've got a Maxi-dump on my Chevy 2500HD. It cost around $3K installed, holds 2 yards (3 with sideboards). It's got a 5000 lb. capacity, although a 10K model is available. It weighs around 1000 lbs. In my truck I can haul 2700 lbs in it without exceeding any of the truck's weight ratings, although it will easily handle more. Your 3500 dually will handle much more, of course. IMO a dump insert is the perfect solution for making a pickup dump. It's much lighter than a separate body and hoist, allowing for more payload, and more durable than a pickup bed/hoist conversion, and the insert can be removed (although not easily) for a return to stock condition.

/ Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500 #7  
I used to work with a guy who installed the dump body kit similar to the one Paul listed the link for. He installed it on a mid 80's Chevy 2WD crew cab dually pickup. It worked great for him hauling dirt and stone. I remember him telling me it took him about one weekend plus 3 or 4 nights after work to install the kit by himself. He also had his rear springs beefed up at the local spring shop. He drove the truck to work daily for about 4 years then he got another job and quit so I lost track of him.

/ Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500 #9  
I put the Northern tool kit on my old "88" 3/4ton pu and it works great. Took two of us in a well equiped shop 10 hrs to install. The Maxi-dump looks like the same kit as northern sells.

Attachments

• 111_1130 (Medium).JPG
    111_1130 (Medium).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,353
   / Replacing Stock Bed with Dump Bed on Ram 3500 #10  
JimWalch said:
I put the Northern tool kit on my old "88" 3/4ton pu and it works great. Took two of us in a well equiped shop 10 hrs to install. The AbleTrailer looks like the same kit as northern sells.

Oops the kit is like the AbleTrailer kit.