REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
ANY advantages? Bulbs last longer?
My big tex ,has a 3 running light bar on back with irreplaceable bulbs.I blew one last year,replaced the whole bar,another is blown NOW .Was thinking on getting different set up.Also broke two marker lights on sides hitting trees:D The leds look cool,but are pricy,so whats the deal?
ALAN

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #2  
:D :D They do last longer and use less amps and brighter but cost lots more?
Jim
:)

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #3  
escavader said:
My big tex ,has a 3 running light bar on back with irreplaceable bulbs.I blew one last year,replaced the whole bar,another is blown NOW .Was thinking on getting different set up.Also broke two marker lights on sides hitting trees:D The leds look cool,but are pricy,so whats the deal?
ALAN

They last longer, cost more, blow one or two individual LEDS after a year or three, but it doesn't matter.

I did both horse trailers, then I did the truck.
Now the truck does the rapid flash trick to indicate a blown bulb due to the low turn signal current they draw. I hacked up an old trailer plug to put two of the old stop/tail lights back on when the trailers are off, I just plug it in to provide the "expected" electrical load. Crude, but effective.

Prices have come down a LOT since then, it is probably a lot more worthwhile now.

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #4  
escavader said:
ALAN

I added a set to both of my trailers (tail lights no light bar). I got tired of corrosion problems with bulb type. Have had them for several years now with no problems. Every time I hook up my trailer they work & are brighter.Bought mine from academy sports & outdoors

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #5  
There is some good reading about them HERE.
But note that they won't help with the tree problem:D

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #6  
I just bought a pair of 1156 LED bulbs ($9 each) to replace the headlight bulbs on my B7100. That will save enough power for my alternator to run a rear work light. Should last longer too.

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS
OK heres a stupid question,i was just curious.If leds take alot less juice,and you have alot of lights on your setup,could you actually save fuel,if your alternator isnt peaking out?:confused: .TOLD YOU ITS PROBABLY A STUPID QUESTION:D
ALAN

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #9  
escavader said:
OK heres a stupid question,i was just curious.If leds take alot less juice,and you have alot of lights on your setup,could you actually save fuel,if your alternator isnt peaking out?:confused: .TOLD YOU ITS PROBABLY A STUPID QUESTION:D
ALAN

You are very correct but it may take you about 30 years of driving to get the cost of bulbs back in fuel savings
Jim
:)

/ REPLACEMENT LED LIGHTS FOR TRAILERS #10  
OK Escavader, here's an uneducated answer.

Yes, LEDs should save fuel, I have a three cylinder Fendt which as more lights are switched on, with the engine at idle, you can hear the engine begin to work a little.

So obviously the more Watts being consumed the harder the alternator is to turn.

Having said that, I've never tried LEDs, due to price and the fear of damaging them.