Trailer Gate Spring Assists

/ Trailer Gate Spring Assists #1  

drtydeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Anyone looking for help in lifting heavy landscape trialer gates may want to check out these:

eLegator Utility Trailer Gate Lift Kit

I installed a pair of these (after enduring triple hernia surgery) on my trailer gates (3.5'x6.5' mesh with built in equip ramps) each weighing 150-175#. The gates can now be lifted with two fingers. Cost was approx $200 for the pair and simple to install. They are a real "Nad" saver.

/ Trailer Gate Spring Assists #2  
Personally, I don't like the exposed springs. I made mine with heavy garage door springs inside steel exhaust pipe, with the saftey cable through the springs. I think I spent around $70 plus labor.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,332
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,150
   / Trailer Gate Spring Assists #3  
grnspot110 said:
Personally, I don't like the exposed springs. I made mine with heavy garage door springs inside steel exhaust pipe, with the saftey cable through the springs. I think I spent around $70 plus labor.
Most excellent. I'd really like to see a few more pics, at your discretion of selection.

I lost interest in the other springy-thingy with the kid-sized web site, then looked at your pics.

Thanks for sharing...

/ Trailer Gate Spring Assists #4  
Get the heaviest springs you can find, Lowes, Home Depot, lumberyards, etc. I used garage door pulleys, & exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop, just big enough for the springs to fit into. Cable goes between pulleys (red arrows), lower pulley is recessed down. My gate is very heavy to accommodate a 7500# tractor, it also has two torrsion spings on the hinges. These are all the pictures have at this time. Any questions, I will try to answer them. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 853
  • Picture 077.jpg
    Picture 077.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,277
   / Trailer Gate Spring Assists #5  
grnspot110 said:
Get the heaviest springs you can find, Lowes, Home Depot, lumberyards, etc. I used garage door pulleys, & exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop, just big enough for the springs to fit into. Cable goes between pulleys (red arrows), lower pulley is recessed down. My gate is very heavy to accommodate a 7500# tractor, it also has two torrsion spings on the hinges. These are all the pictures have at this time. Any questions, I will try to answer them. ~~ grnspot110
Thank you Sir.

:tiphat: