Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi????

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #1  

gamble77

Veteran Member
Have seriously been considering the purchase of a Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Hemi in it (prob. 2005 model) for my next truck. My towing needs are almost non-existant as we have a 1-ton dodge dually here for that.

That being said, does anybody else out there have a 2500 4x4 with the Hemi in it? How does it perform? I do a lot of short runs in town and just don't need the Cummins. My father had a 1500 4x4 with the Hemi so I am familiar with fuel millage, etc. Mainly want to know about the Hemi performing with the extra weight and solid front axle (which is why I would get a 2500). Any insight would be much appreciated!

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #2  
gamble77 said:
Have seriously been considering the purchase of a Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Hemi in it (prob. 2005 model) for my next truck. My towing needs are almost non-existant as we have a 1-ton dodge dually here for that.

That being said, does anybody else out there have a 2500 4x4 with the Hemi in it? How does it perform? I do a lot of short runs in town and just don't need the Cummins. My father had a 1500 4x4 with the Hemi so I am familiar with fuel millage, etc. Mainly want to know about the Hemi performing with the extra weight and solid front axle (which is why I would get a 2500). Any insight would be much appreciated!

I have a 2004 Ram SLT 2500 with the hemi and 5 speed manual. Ordered it new and so far a fine truck. (I do wish that the 6 speed was available in 2004). We use it to tow the horse trailer, 5,500 lbs or so, and I plow my long driveway. We tow the trailer only once in a while so the Hemi is fine. If a heavier trailer or use was very frequent, I would go for the Cummins.
Most of the use is around town and the hemi is just fine in terms of performance. Expect to get only about 13 to 14 mpg with no trailer, down to 10 when hauling.
Also expect to replace front axel U-joints every 30K miles. The truck is very comfortable to drive, will keep it many more years.

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #3  
I had a 2004 2500 with the hemi and traded it in for the 06 cummins 3500. My main reason was fuel milage. But that being said the hemi is a very strong engine that will pull or push just about anything. Very comfortable ride.

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #4  
You know about the millage and that is one weak point. I had a 2005 and never saw above 12mpg. Truck also lacked a lot when it came to pulling and was in the shop non stop. 7 radiator cooling fans, power steering pump, ac compressor, a few shorts, and 2 tranny operations. Got rid of it after 20 months.

Chris

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #5  
gamble77 said:

The next question, you need to answer, is do you need a second pickup truck at all???

What are you going to use this vehicle for??

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #6  
I've got an '03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO and an '04 2500 Hemi, both 4X4's. both automatics. The Hemi is a quad cab/long bed. I use the diesel for 75% of my heavy towing, with some occasional towing by the Hemi. Both pull 20'+5' 14,000GVWR goosenecks.

The Hemi has plenty of power for towing. It isn't as fuel efficient with a big load as the diesel, and it won't pull hills like the diesel, but otherwise, I'm happy with the results.

Some of the first 5.7 L Hemi's had issues with weak valve springs. That was solved by mid year '04.

Milage... I get as much as 16 on the highway, running 55-60. Take it up to 70-75 and that drops to 12-1/2 to 13. In town stop and go driving, MAYBE 12. Towing 9 to 12, depending on load weight. 88,000 miles and no issues to report. I've heard people complain about issues with front axle (4X4) but I haven't experienced any myself. (4X4 does get used as much, maybe more than "average")

Reason why I bought a gasser? My employer provides us with "free gas". We don't get diesel. I drive the Hemi to and from work, 50+ miles a day. Otherwise, with a lot of towing, all things being equal, I'd own all diesels.

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #7  
Gamble77,

I have a 2004 2500 SLT hemi quad-cab with the shortbed. I must be lucky, this truck has been very good to me. I haven't had to do anything other than normal maintenance to it (knock on wood). Like you already know, gas mileage isn't the best, but that's to be expected. It has 55k on it, and I use it as my daily driver with occasional hauling of an 18' equipment trailer and tractor. It hauls OK, but if I did a lot of hauling I'd rather the diesel myself.

Last year I put an 8' Western Pro-Plus plow on it, and it handles the plow with no problem at all. But being from Georgia, you probably won't need to know that! :D

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi????
No, probably won't need a snow plow in South GA! Again, because of the numerous short trips and the fact that we have a diesel here at work to use and I would rather not pay upfront for the diesel I think the Hemi will be ticket. Thanks for all the insight.

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #9  
I have heard that the new hemis have the cylinder cutout that the cars do now. I think the EPA sticker is supposed to say 18 hiway!

If you want an 05 Hemi, I have a friend that bought one because he didn't think he needed a diesel. He hates it now and would probably sell it if he could afford to.

If you only want a run around and you already have the mac daddy of tow rigs, why not a halfy? I wish my bone jarring truck was a halfy sometimes.

/ Dodge 2500 4x4 Hemi???? #10  
garth466 said:
I have heard that the new hemis have the cylinder cutout that the cars do now. I think the EPA sticker is supposed to say 18 hiway!

The hemi used in the Durango and Ram 1500 has the cylinder cutout, but I don't think the version in the 2500 Ram has it. No EPA mileage tests on those so no real incentive for the manufacturer to install it.