Horse Trailer Purchase

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #1  

BrianC

Tractor
Kubota L5030
We are new to the horse owning group. Our daughter has her own horse and really wants to take her horse to lessons and to some of the shows she has started.

Obviously this makes it neccessary to have a horse trailer so I guess it is up to me to take care of this. I would like to get whatever advise you might have on looking for a good trailer including whatever you might suggest on the towing vehicle.

Its just one horse with a weight of about 1100 lbs.

In addition would you care to talk to me about the proper procedure of trailering a horse. Safety issues, loading, anything you would care to share. I have no experience with this and realize I have a pretty precious cargo.

Many thanks and kind regards

Brian

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #2  
Holy cow that is a book to write about about all that! LOL. Well first of all it sounds like you would need a two horse trailer to do this. Let me ask you a few questions.

1. What kind of a rig are you going to be using to tow the trailer?

2. What's your price range on a trailer?

3. How far are you planning on hauling?

4. Are you planning on spending nights or just one day deals?

Let me know those answers and I can better answer your questions about what to buy.

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #3  
After a traumatic incident resulting in an old trailer turning over on the highway (I don't want to re-live the details, but the horse was OK), we did exhausive research into horse trailer safety. That trailer was totaled and we got rid of the truck right away (gave it away). So, last summer we bought an EquiSpirit 2 horse trailer. Pulling it with an F-150. Check them out at www.equispirit.com. They are in NC and will deliver the goods to you. Or call Barbara Scheve at 877-575-1771. She will work harder to educate you than to sell you. Tell her I sent you. (satisfied customer)

Jeremy Levine in the Bluegrass State
(and to answer the question that is sure to be asked: TN Walkers)

/ Horse Trailer Purchase
Sorry Richard....I wasnt sure of all the info to list...anyway the current tow vehicle would be a toyota pickup. I was told that a heavier truck would be better but with caution the toyota would work.

We probably would not be going further than a 150 mile radius from home and would not anticipate any over nighters.

The price range would be hopfully around $2500 used. Thanks again Richard

Hi Jeremy,

Sounds like the kind of incident I want to avoid. Am I correct in assuming you are saying to go new rather than used? Thanks again.

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #5  
<font color=blue>the current tow vehicle would be a toyota pickup.</font color=blue>
Not to be too picky, but which model Toyota, Tundra or Tacoma?

<font color=blue>The price range would be hopfully around $2500 used.</font color=blue>
Here's what you're probably looking at for about $2500. I found this at Messicks in Elizabethtown, PA, so it's actually for sale, $2,295.

71390A.jpg

I don't mean to sound preachy, but please be careful! A slightly undersized tow vehicle and a very used trailer could be a recipe for problems. Remember what you're carrying back there. a horse your daughter has invested a lot of time and effort into training, not to mention loves. I have a 16' gooseneck trailer and a full size Chevy Ext Cab 4 x 4 pickup with extra leaf springs. Even with just one horse in the trailer, I can tell when the horse is moving around. With a bumper pull trailer (like the one above), and a smaller tow vehicle you don't want the 'tail wagging the dog'!

You'll also need to buy a hitch and trailer connections for electric brakes, another couple of hundred dollars.

There may be others in the group that could take your horse along either for free or a nominal charge instead of buying your own trailer.

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #6  
Mike,
I know this is drifting off the subject, but what is that yellow machine behind the trailor ? Those rollers look pretty vicious.

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #7  
Good question. I looks like it is the front of a combine without the rotors (I think that's what they're called), i.e., the stuff on the front of a combine that pulls the grain in. Those pieces might be in the plywood boxes to the left of the cab.

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #8  
<font color=blue>need to buy a hitch and trailer connections for electric brakes</font color=blue>

I'd agree, but the picture of that particular trailer looks like it has surge brakes.

/ Horse Trailer Purchase #9  
<font color=blue>the picture of that particular trailer looks like it has surge brakes</font color=blue>

Is that the 'thing' sitting on top of the tongue, just behind the hitch?

Bird was not recommending this, but there's no way I'd recommend hauling horses with a trailer that had surge brakes.