Toyo Commercial M55 Tires

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #1  

john_bud

Anyone use the Toyo M55s on a heavy diesel truck?

Looking for feedback.

Tired of tires only giving 20-25k miles with rotations at 5k.

Size of desire is LT 255/85R16

Thanks,
jb

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #2  
What kind of roads are you running on? Haven't tried the Toyo's but have run Goodyear and Hankooks and 20 to 25 thousand is about all I get out of a set of rough mud and snows. Mostly pasture, gravel roads, and highway miles are usually pulling a trailer. Talked to 3 tire dealers before buying the last set of tires and they told me to be glad they where lasting that long. Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 flatbed is what I run with 245/75/16. 10 ply's. My wife's F150 doesn't do much better. I would love to find something that would hold up better.

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires
Mostly asphalt 2 lanes. But, I need to go on gravel, dirt, sand and sticky mud in spring, summer, fall. Probably more off road than many, but still 90% or more it's on pavement. Pull a bumper trailer with 10 to 12k about 2500 to 5000 miles a year too.

Here's the Toyo propaganda;

M-55
The M-55 is an all-position traction radial designed to deliver versatility and exceptional mileage with dependable traction on- or off-road. Easily handles rough terrain, mud and snow. Built to handle the most demanding commercial applications

M55.gif

It's not a mudder and not even as agressive as many T/A tires, but it has good reports on the dodge and Ford diesel forums. Some are claiming 70,000 miles a few are claiming more. Looks like most are in the 50-60,000 mile range. The tires are about 50% more than normal tires, but I am getting an odd ball size. LT255/85R16. It's 33" tall and only 10" wide.

Used treadepot.com and ordered Monday afternoon. Last day for the FREE shipping. That saved some where between 48 and 162 bucks (the range on shipping for online bought tires). The UPS tracker says they will be here Friday. Pretty good. No one in town had anything in the 255 size, nor could they get them.

Will post back with info when they show up and after they are on.

Still would be good to hear from a current user...
jb

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #4  
john_bud said:

Looking for feedback.

Thanks,
jb
I am not sure what you consider a heavy diesel truck but a 16" tire is applicable to light duty trucks inclusive of the 1-ton classified vehicles. The M55 is a light truck tire. ( Toyo Tires® Photo Archive - M55™ Light Truck All-Position Traction Radial )

To answer your question, I have not used Toyo on my 2500 diesel, thus I don't know.

To elaborate a bit if I may, I have gotten 50-60 thousand on the last 6 or so sets of Michelin tires. No need for me to look further. I too would be tired of 20 -25k miles per set.

I'm currently using the Michelin X series LT 265Rs x 16 Load range E.

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #5  
I don't have any experience with the Toyo's but Michelin makes a premium commercial grade tire. It's the XPS radial and you can get it in a rib or traction tire. On my '04 F-350 Dually 4x4 I had the XPS Rib on the front and the XPS Traction on the rear. Had 55,000 miles on them when I traded the truck and they still had at least 25,000 miles left. Unfortunately the biggest they offer is 235/85R16.

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #6  
john_bud said:

Looking for feedback.

Thanks,
jb

I used similar Toyos on my heavy diesel truck for a couple years before switching to Goodyears. Here's a picture of my 4800 with Toyos:

About 1&1/2 years ago, I switched to Goodyears all the way around and the truck rides much better. Here's a picture of my 4800 with the Goodyear tires.

I wouldn't base my tire buying decision on what a particular brands rides or wears like on a big truck because big truck tires are built differently than light truck tires and are inflated to much higher pressures (105 psi).

I am partial to Goodyear tires on big trucks & tractors and BFG or Cooper tires on small trucks.

Thanks for the input guys. The Toyo M55 seems to have a small following.

In my tire search, the reviews and such on the tire store web pages are often stating how good and long lasting a tire is but the truck is a Ranger or S10 or even a jeep. Not really relavent when comparing to a 7000# diesel. Now, 7000# is not a HEAVY truck, but it is compared to a ranger! Also, some LT's tires seem to be more for show on 1/2 tons than for go on 3/4's and thus wear out fast. Especially towing. I know the Goodyears have only given one (1) good year and now can hardly drag me up the driveway. They can no longer be rotated as one pair have a real nasty "radial Pull".

I looked at the XPS, but they don't seem to have enough mud traction. This fall, I spent 3 1/2 hours going 300 yards. The GY's just filled with mud at the first hint and spun. Naturally, the largest trees were tag alders in the 3" range. Let me tell you, it's a real B!! trying to winch out with a come along and having the tree pop out before the truck moves. And when you're alone you need to leave the truck in 4x4 low in gear while you winch. No joy in mud-ville! I will be in that same stretch a lot in '08 as I have gotten easement and can now improve the logging trail into a road. The total run is just about 1.1 miles and every low spot is a sucking muck hole waiting to trap the truck. Happily, only one stretch with no winching trees.

The Toyo's are also "E" rated and in the LT255/85R16 they seem to be the ONLY one in that category. Hopefully, they will work out fine.

jb

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #8  
I have a set of these tires in 235/85/R16 on my 3/4 ton dodge farm truck. I have about 40 k on them so far and they are still in very good shape. I am very rough on tires in the mud and pasture. Pull heavy gooseneck trailers and feed hay with that truck. I love the tires.

/ Toyo Commercial M55 Tires #9  
I don't think it has much to do with the "brand" of tire as much as the tread you desire combined with good quality of build. If the Toyos have a tread you like, then I wouldn't hesitate

I ran Goodyear MT/R's that would go through the worst mud real nice, but they're probably too aggressive for your needs.

Got the Toyo's on Friday. Pretty impressed as I ordered them at 2pm on Monday.

Went to Wally World to get them mounted. Sat for 90 minutes and was told they won't do it. Not the "recommended size". What the ? Went to the farm & fleet store around the block and 45 minutes later was driving on some new tires.

CIMG3320.jpg

CIMG3322.jpg

CIMG3323.jpg

CIMG3325.jpg

Aside from having more traction and sitting up 2" higher the only comment is that the ride is a bit rougher. Then again, it was below zero on the ride home.