Which Axles for Trailer?

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #1  

cjcocn

Silver Member
Hello all

I just picked up an old 14' x 6 1/2' dual axle utility trailer, but it has old house trailer axles on it (illegal here). I knew that going in, but the cost for the trailer was only $350 so I figured that I could spring for a pair of axles.

The trailer is solidly built and probably weighs over 1500 lbs, so once I put 3' walls on it I will be able to load 2.13 cords of wood.

I mainly burn jack pine which has a dry (seasoned) weight of 2,669# per cord. 2.13 cords of dry jack pine weighs in at ア5,685# (the wood is seasoned before I bring it home).

The weight of the trailer and the wood would put me at 7,185 lbs (at least), so a pair of 3,500# axles will not be enough.

That leaves me with a choice of 5,200# axles or 6,000# axles (the next available sizes up).

If I go with 5,200# axles I will have a capacity of 8,900# (10,400 - 1,500). With 2.13 cords of wood on the trailer I will have 3,215# of available load capacity remaining.

If I go with 6,000# axles I will have a capacity of 10,500# (12,000 - 1,500). With 2.13 cords of wood I will have 4,815# of available load capacity remaining.

I do not plan on hauling much else on this trailer except for my current tractor which is less than 4,400# and probably some junk/scrap/etc from clearing operations around the house. The heaviest load that I need to carry should be the wood.

Here are my questions.

Which axles do you recommend?

If I go for the 6,000# axles, will the extra 4,815# of capacity make the ride too rough when I am carrying my maximum weight (the firewood)?

Would I be better off with the 5,200# axles as this would put me nearer my capacity and give me a smoother ride and less wear on the trailer? (I figure there would be less wear since the 5,200# axles would be less stiff and would absorb bumps better)

The price is negligible (the 6,000# axles are actually $50 cheaper for the pair), so it is just a matter of which axles would be better suited to my purpose.

Thanks

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #2  
Personally, I would go with the 6000#, I don't think you'll notice any difference in ride or wear. You never Know when you might need the extra capacity.~~ grnspot110

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #3  
I don't think the difference in capacity is your major concern as either will do the job you want...braking would be a bigger concern to me. Do either come with built in brakes?

/ Which Axles for Trailer?
Sorry, I should have included that info.

Both sets include brakes all-round (I skipped right over the single brake sets as they are not a consideration).

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #5  
I'm with grnspot then, get the 6000lb ones, heck they're cheaper. and I doubt there's a noticable difference in ride.

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #6  
Go with the 6000lb axle. I doubt you will be able to tell any difference in the ride and you can just consider the extra capacity a safety margin. Good brakes on both axles is definitely the way to go.

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #7  
I recently upgraded my trailer axles to 6000# with brakes all around. I didn't look at the 5200#, so cannot offer much opinion on them. Ride quality would be more a result of springs, not axles. I opted for 7000# springs to insure there would not be any sag on my deck over trailer. When empty, it is rough, but when loaded, it inspires confidence. Mine are Dexter heavy duty with EZ Lube bearings. I believe the heavy duty uses larger bearings, and there is nothing more convenient than using a grease gun to lube the bearings.

/ Which Axles for Trailer?
RollTideRam said:
Don't forget tires that match your axle rating. JC

I am pricing those out and just came up with some potential totals. I will know for sure once I check another source or two.

They ain't cheap! :D

/ Which Axles for Trailer? #10  
I had 2 5,200# axles on a boat trailer and some items are harder to come by than 6,000# axles. Things like seals and bearings were a little tough to find but do able. I never had to work on the breaks but I am guessing it would be the same story. The 6,000# axles ares so common the parts are a dime a dozen so with that I would do as the others said and get the bigger ones. If this trailer does not work out or you want to build a bigger trailer in the future you have the bigger axles and running gear to get you started.

Chris