License a homemade trailer

/ License a homemade trailer #1  

casey lb1914

Tractor
Kioti LB1914
Has anyone from NYS experienced getting a homemade trailer over a 1000# licensed ? I stripped a camper trailer off the frame and put on a deck, it is a 6x16 tandem axle w/elec. brakes now I need to get it on the road. I know the state needs to inspect it also the DOT. Iam close to Rochester. I have called DMV but as always, thats like pulling teeth to get an answer, where do I go for the DOT inspection. I will post my pics when I get a chance.

Attachments

• trailer finised.jpg
    trailer finised.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 6,314
   / License a homemade trailer #2  
Nice job. I am not in NY but here in Indiana we go to the BMV and get a form along with a VIN#. You then place that VIN# on the trailer per the instructions and fill out the from. You then call your local Police and they send a man out who checks the trailer over and signs the form. You then you go back to the BMV and you are issued a title and you get plates. You are then set. Once again nice trailer.

Chris

/ License a homemade trailer #3  
First you have to go to a state approved weigh station and have it weighed. You'll need a certified form from them. Then you need to determine it's carry capacity,(should be printed on the axles).

Your local DOT office should have a form you can fill out. They will assign you a ID# which you have to stamp into the trailer frame.

I did it several years ago and it's not too hard.

Get the form first and take it with you to the weigh station, if you are stopped by the police you can show them the form and you should be "ok".

/ License a homemade trailer #4  
Good timing!

I was looking up info yesterday and came across a NYS downloadable pdf form that you would use to have your homemade trailer registered.

While I cannot recall which site it was, you should be able to find it with a search.

I will try searching for it, but you will probably beat me to it if you are on anything faster than dial-up (which is what I have).

Hopefully I can post a link shortly.

PS ... that is one nice trailer!

/ License a homemade trailer #6  
Nice trailer. How much weight do you plan on hauling? The reason I ask is because without the camper on it how rigid is the frame? I don't know if that may cause you any problems with the DMV.

Good luck

M.D.

/ License a homemade trailer #7  
Diamondpilot said:
Nice job. I am not in NY but here in Indiana we go to the BMV and get a form along with a VIN#. You then place that VIN# on the trailer per the instructions and fill out the from. You then call your local Police and they send a man out who checks the trailer over and signs the form. You then you go back to the BMV and you are issued a title and you get plates. You are then set. Once again nice trailer.

Chris

Same for me in alabama( I had to make up my own VIN#) Except we go to the DMV ( dept. of motor vehicles)instead of b?mv

/ License a homemade trailer #9  
kenmac said:
Same for me in alabama( I had to make up my own VIN#) Except we go to the DMV ( dept. of motor vehicles)instead of b?mv

Here in Indiana we have the BMV. Bureau of Motor Vehicles. This is all thanks to our make things easier Government.

Chris

/ License a homemade trailer
Thanks for the responses, the NYS link was a big help, it appears that the state DOT issues me a VIN# after they inspect it. Heres some pics of the project, I stripped the frame and added supports. The most I had on it was my Kioti tractor with FEL and box blade. I would quess all of 3000# took it down the road with no problems. Now to get it legal.

Attachments

• 100_0137.jpg
    100_0137.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 100_0188.jpg
    100_0188.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 5,193
  • 100_0193.jpg
    100_0193.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 1,615
  • 100_0218.jpg
    100_0218.jpg