Prodigy 3 or Prodigy

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy #1  

MACDABS

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 110TLB
Need a new brake controller for a older 95 F350 p stroke dual dump, towing 12000lb trailer. Has any one used the new Prodigy 3 controller? Is the new Prodigy 3 worth the extra money over the standard Prodigy? I like the idea you can use it in several other vehicles and buy the spare harness.

Any feedback is appreciated, towing safe is my main concern.

Thanks,
macdabs

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy #2  
I just received my Prodigy 3 tonight and installed it in my Duramax. However, my 12' dump trailer is up at our new house loaded with appliances, so I won't be able to tow with it until sometime this weekend. I'll let you know what I think of it as soon as get to actually use it. :)

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy
Jeffster,
Was it basic to install? Is the digital display bright?
Can't wait to hear how it works with a load.

Thanks,
Macdabs

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy #4  
MACDABS said:
I like the idea you can use it in several other vehicles and buy the spare harness.

That's common to both the Prodigy and the P3. Both have a quick connect in the rear. I use a Prodigy in my F450 and it works great. In fact, they make a harness that plugged right into my factory wiring harness. 2 minute install. Seems that the P3's differences are mutlilingual display, all controls on the front vs. the sides/top, and ability to also control EH braking systems...

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy #5  
Yeah, I bought the harness as well (like $10 or so), so the install was literally 5 minutes, and it only took that long because I was being picky about exactly where I was going to mount it.

On the Duramax, the fuse block is by the E-brake below the dash, so you unscrew a plastic nut and pull the cover off, plug the harness in, and route it to the Prodigy and that's it. No tools needed.

As for the display, no it isn't too bright. I'll take a picture of it this weekend to show you where I mounted it, but I don't really think it is too bright or over the top. The thing I thought was funny is all the color combinations. The purple and pink my kids just loved, but I had to put my foot down on that. Blue it is. :D

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy #7  
Ok, I have not had a chance to take a picture, but I did pull the trailer today and I have to say I love it. I did not yet have a brake controller in the Duramax before, so I can't say I love it better than any other controller, but be that as it may, this thing is extremely easy to install and works fantastic. I have only pulled the trailer a limited number of times and each time the truck pulled it just great, but you could really feel the push during braking. With the P3, even before dialing it in, I just set it on Boost level 2 and took off then braked going down a fairly long downgrade and it was just awesome. Felt like I had nothing back there.

Makes me want to add electric brakes to my boat trailer now. :D

/ Prodigy 3 or Prodigy
Jeffster,
Thanks for the feedback, I ordered one out of Ohio, looks like the cats meow and the warranty looks great hope to have it Monday . thanks again.

Macdabs