What a Joke

/ What a Joke #12  
Oddly enough both the trailer & Blazer had 20 day plates -brand new !!!

Being a long time RVer, that's not a bit odd to me. In the first place the Blazer is too short a wheelbase to handle a heavy trailer very well. But over the years, I've lost count of the owners of new rigs that I talked to after they wrecked the new rig, and only after the accident did they learn what a sway control was. It always seemed to me that it should be illegal for a dealer to sell a trailer without at least explaining sway controls to the buyer, and anyone who doesn't use a sway control on a travel trailer can expect to wreck it.

/ What a Joke
I towed this load 600mi. Van did OK. I would have loved to pull into a Toyota dealership and say if you have a truck that can tow this better than the Express I'll buy it. They probably don't have a truck that can even hold it up off the pavement let alone tow it!
46037205.jpg

/ What a Joke #14  
Diamondpilot said:
That has less to do with the truck but more with the trailer, weight dist., and the loading technique. It would put any truck on the ground if loaded improperly. The guy I sold my last boat to had his 3/4 ton Suburban on the ground the same way. He headed out on a 100 mile trip home. He said he would never do that again in a follow up call. He could not figure it out, he said he pulled way more than that with that truck before. When I asked him what he had been pulling he said a backhoe on trailer. The difference was he could put the backhoe where he wanted on the trailer. With the boat you are stuck with whats there for the most part.

Chris

I had an F-250 like that. Used to squat like a female dog even with a properly loaded 10K trailer in tow, then it broke a sway bar.

Built Ford tough....'til it breaks.

/ What a Joke #15  
wkpoor said:
I towed this load 600mi. Van did OK. I would have loved to pull into a Toyota dealership and say if you have a truck that can tow this better than the Express I'll buy it. They probably don't have a truck that can even hold it up off the pavement let alone tow it!
46037205.jpg

Heck, if the van broke, you could always put it on the trailer and tow it with the Mopar.

/ What a Joke #16  
wkpoor said:
46037205.jpg

You are comparing your 1 ton Van to a 1/2 ton truck. As stated once before suspension and brakes are more a factor when towing than HP.

Chris

/ What a Joke #17  
wkpoor said:
46037205.jpg

I think he does mean suspension (among other things). He's saying the Toyota's suspension won't hold up as good as his van.

Tell you what, that skid steer is putting a LOT tongue weight on the back of his van, and it's not squatting all that much. ;)

/ What a Joke #18  
I agree totally. I am just saying its a 1 ton versus a 1/2 ton. I was not a big fan of the Japanese trucks till I tried them. I wish they would get into the 3/4 and 1 ton market with a top notch diesel. It would be interesting. The major hurdle is to get people to change the mind set of these trucks. They are American made now days, more than some of the Big 3. They put lost of people to work here in Indiana with Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and others having plants within 2 hours of my home. Not to mention all the support that these plants need like hotels, restaurants, ect. All the Ford, GM, and Dodge plants are closing the doors and running over seas.

Chris

/ What a Joke #19  
Diamondpilot said:
I agree totally. I am just saying its a 1 ton versus a 1/2 ton. I was not a big fan of the Japanese trucks till I tried them. I wish they would get into the 3/4 and 1 ton market with a top notch diesel. It would be interesting. The major hurdle is to get people to change the mind set of these trucks. They are American made now days, more than some of the Big 3. They put lost of people to work here in Indiana with Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and others having plants within 2 hours of my home. Not to mention all the support that these plants need like hotels, restaurants, ect. All the Ford, GM, and Dodge plants are closing the doors and running over seas.

Chris
I'd have to disagree there. They do assemble the trucks here, but the bulk of the parts are still shipped here in crates from overseas. Most of the domestic trucks have parts and most assembly here in the USA.

Last time I checked, GM & Ford were in the mid-80 percentages for American content, Toyota, Nissan & the ilk hadn't come close.

I ain't buyin that "Toyota-made in America" crap. That's just marketing to get Americans who care about buying American over the guilt of buying a foreign truck.

The big reason American companies are "closing the doors and running over seas" as you put it is because our corporate income tax structure, the 2nd highest among industrialized nations, drives American companies off-shore. However, foreign companies that decide to locate here are not subject to the same corp tax structure since their headquartered overseas.

Next time you think American corporations are moving overseas because of greed, blame the US government for all but forcing them overseas for our failed corp income tax structure. IMO, it's a wonder they can compete at all.

/ What a Joke #20  
I read a few months back on content and man hours used to build 1/2 ton trucks. In the 1/2 ton market the Ford F-150 and Toyota had the highest percentage. The Dodge had the lowest, I believe it is assembled in Mexico. The Fords and Toyota's being assembled in the US is what gave them a high percentage. I am not sure but I believe the GM trucks are assembled in Canada.

I agree it is the government running our companies out of town. The company my dad is vise president of did the same thing but are now thinking of coming home. The grass was not greener on the other side.

Chris