What a Joke

/ What a Joke #31  
The Toyota is NOT rated to pull a 10,000 lb trailer, its a 10,000 lb combination. Since the truck weighs 6000 lbs itself when loaded with fuel and passengers, you can only haul a 4000 lb trailer with a Tundra.

GM rates its towing differently. No industry standard. Some manufacturers give max TRAILER weight with the truck at empty gas tank and just driver load.

The Tundra does not have enough brakes to stop ITSELF very well, much less with a trailer. Something your RECALL notices should have pointed out.

The trailer in those fancy ads was aluminum and EMPTY.

/ What a Joke #32  
I think you're getting confused with the older Tundra which I think was only around 6000lbs, I find it hard to believe my SUV without a solid axle can out tow a Tundra. If you've got a source for this information it's be an interesting read.

/ What a Joke #33  
Z-Michigan said:
Just what we need, an even more powerful diesel. I can't see anything reasonably done with even a 1-ton requiring or getting much benefit from more than the 350hp currently available in pickup diesels. I would much rather see a smaller motor that is more efficient. But of course hp sells to people who don't know what they really need. Explain to me how all the medium duty trucks work just fine with a measly 250-300hp.

Like I've said before, they can't make a transmission to reliably hold the torque generated by anything more than what's available now without a lot of expense added to the pricetag and weight added to the truck and loss of interior space.

The Allison 1000 series in the GM HD's is about as beefy as it gets and look how it only sits 11" off the pavement. It's a monster in a light duty truck. It can hold a max 660 ft lbs and that's with torque managing strategies in place. it's the same transmission used in medium duty trucks.

In a world that makes sense, GM, Ford et al. will offer 2 diesels: one lower powered version for fleet useage and one that offers max power for all the guys on the truck websites.

GM currently offers the 4500/5500 6.6L DMAX with 2 power options 300/605 & 365/660. Watch for a new line of V-8 high revving diesels for 1/2 tons next year.

/ What a Joke #34  
Original Tundra with 4.7L V8 was rated to tow I think 7300lbs with automatic transmission. That would require a weight distributing hitch, of course, and that is really a max rating. The new Tundra with 5.7L V8 and 6 speed auto is rated by Toyota to tow a 10k trailer. I'm not saying it will do a good job or is a good idea, but that's what Toyota rates it for. I think you may be confused by the allegation that in one of Toyota's ads, the voiceover said "it's hard to push 10,000lbs up a __ % grade" or something like that, and in fact the trailer was 4k and the 10k claim included the weight of the truck.

/ What a Joke #35  
Diamondpilot said:
One thing that was weird was the way they had the drive train set up. The only rear end gears they offered were a 2.94 and a 3.35. The 2.94 was equal to a 3.73 in other trucks and the 3.35 was equal to a 4.10.

It's a matter of matching effective tranny gearing to the rear end ratio. The Titan probably had a lower 1st gear and maybe 2nd gear than the other trucks, to effectively pull the rear end ratio. With taller rear end gears, they probably also had a milder OD than the other trucks. It also depends on the torque curve of the motor.

/ What a Joke #36  
I have a new 2007 Tundra Double Can version. It is rated to pull 10,300 and that is the trailer only not including the truck weight. I pull a 30 foot goose neck trailer that is 6000 lbs empty, my trailer gross weight is actually in the 11,000 plus category. I traded in a 2004 F250 crew cab with the 5.4 gas. This Toyota will run circles around the F250. I am talking gas engines here. If my Ford would have had the diesel I probably would have kept it.

Don't say too much bad about the Tundra until you have owned one. I feel there is absolutely no comparison to any other half ton and I have had Ford's and Chevy's in the past. I look at the Tundra as being somewhere between a half and a three quarter ton. It only needs heavier tires and a little more spring. The brakes, rear end, transmission and engine are there now.

/ What a Joke #37  
Does anyone know all the facts on a "tow rating"? I remember some years back carefully inspecting a manufacturer's tow documents and discovered the tow rating was at 45MPH:eek:
I've always told people you ain't gonna be very happy towing over HALF whatever the manufacturer says....it may DO it but it ain't gonna be FUN:D

/ What a Joke #38  
Builder said:
My GM truck was assembled & built in Flint, MI. It contains ~85% domestic parts.
Gimmie a ring when Toyota & Nissan reaches an 85% domestic parts content. ;)

I don't really care as much as I used to, but I felt the need to help add some truth to what I'm reading.

We are talking 1/2 ton trucks not 3/4 or heavier. I am sure you are right, all the heavy duty trucks by GM, Ford, and Dodge are assembled in the US at this time.

Chris

/ What a Joke #39  
dgl24087 said:
My 07 Ram 1500 was assembled in Louisiana. Domestic content 72% I believe.

It was slated to be closed and all operations moved to Mexico in the 4th quarter of 2007. I am sure your truck was assembled there if assembled prior to October 07. Sounds like you got one of the last good ones.

Chris

/ What a Joke #40  
Diamondpilot said:
We are talking 1/2 ton trucks not 3/4 or heavier. I am sure you are right, all the heavy duty trucks by GM, Ford, and Dodge are assembled in the US at this time.

Chris

Sorry, I thought we were talkinh light trucks & vans, my bad.

BTW:Dodge 3/4 & 1 tons are assembled in Mexico and have been since about 2000 give or take a year.