What a Joke

/ What a Joke #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
If you watch TV you know the Toyota Tundra is marketed to be able to tow 10,000lb trailer even though I've never seen it done with anything but a boat. I found out that the 2008 Chevy 3500 van with the Duramax is rated the same. GIVE ME A BREAK! Either one is way over stated or one is way understated. My 3500 Express routinely pulls 10,000+ and does it well. I don't think I've ever seen a Toyota pulling a real load like a skidsteer ect. What am I missing here?

/ What a Joke #2  
Pulling as you know has a lot less to do with HP but with running gear. Suspension and brakes are probably more important than the engine. We used to pull loads of 10,000# with a 5.4L 300HP F-150. It was no comparison to my Powerstroke Diesel but would do it.

Chris

/ What a Joke
Yeh, My impression is just because it can do it on a 60sec commercial doesn't mean I would take out on a 500mi. trip with it. It seems the SUV and light truck markets are battling it out for who's toughest. Even though the reality is no 1/2ton should be towing the weight they say they will.
Another anomaly is my 1ton van has a hitch with a sticker rating of 500/5000. I've seen Trail Blazers that say 600/6000 on the hitch. Again....GO FIGURE!

/ What a Joke #4  
wkpoor said:
If you watch TV you know the Toyota Tundra is marketed to be able to tow 10,000lb trailer even though I've never seen it done with anything but a boat. I found out that the 2008 Chevy 3500 van with the Duramax is rated the same. GIVE ME A BREAK! Either one is way over stated or one is way understated. My 3500 Express routinely pulls 10,000+ and does it well. I don't think I've ever seen a Toyota pulling a real load like a skidsteer ect. What am I missing here?

GM does and always has rated their truck's towing capacities VERY conservatively.

/ What a Joke #5  
wkpoor said:
I don't think I've ever seen a Toyota pulling a real load like a skidsteer ect. What am I missing here?

Toyota released a commercial showing their truck picking a guy up on a construction site with a shiny new truck then cuts out. when it cuts back in the truck is covered in mud and hooked to a trailer hauling a skid steer and they are picking another guy up at the same spot (this is suppose to be 3 minutes after the first guy was picked up). The first guy was now a believer and so on.

What I liked about this commercial is that when Toyota first released it you could see the skid steer move on the trailer because it was not chained down. I am assuming Toyota caught flak over this as they revised the commercial to cut out right at the moment the skid steer was to rock forward on the trailer when the truck stopped.

/ What a Joke #6  
I thought the Toyota claim of 10,000 pound load included the truck.

jb

/ What a Joke #7  
I have driven every 1/2 ton except the new Toyota while towing and not. I have driven a 2005 1/2 ton Toyota. I have also owned a 3/4 ton Hemi Dodge, 3500 Duramax, and 3 F-250/F-350 Powerstrokes, and by far the best towing GAS truck of them all was the Nissan Titan. I was amazed at how it out performed my F-150 and I am a die hard Ford guy. One thing that was weird was the way they had the drive train set up. The only rear end gears they offered were a 2.94 and a 3.35. The 2.94 was equal to a 3.73 in other trucks and the 3.35 was equal to a 4.10.

Last May I was in the market for a new 1/2 ton truck for the wife. Wanted 4 doors, leather, sat radio, 4 wheel drive, sun roof, you get the picture. She drove them all from GM, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge. She narrowed it down to Ford, Nissan, and Toyota. I did the dealing and the Ford dealer won by a good margin. Nissan and Toyota was way proud of the offerings they had. I can't wait for them to get into the Diesel market.

Chris

/ What a Joke #8  
Just got back from town buying some groceries. While there I saw a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 fender badges. The guy had a trailer with 8 round bales of hay which looked to be 4x5s. The rear bumper was almost on the ground. I kept thinking that something was going to pop at anytime. It was way over loaded. I don't understand people trying to do things with a pickup that they clearly wasn't designed for. Maybe the guy believed the commercial.

/ What a Joke #9  
wkpoor said:
Yeh, My impression is just because it can do it on a 60sec commercial doesn't mean I would take out on a 500mi. trip with it. It seems the SUV and light truck markets are battling it out for who's toughest. Even though the reality is no 1/2ton should be towing the weight they say they will.
Another anomaly is my 1ton van has a hitch with a sticker rating of 500/5000. I've seen Trail Blazers that say 600/6000 on the hitch. Again....GO FIGURE!
I don't know about that. I once saw a large camper trailer & a S10 Blazer all wheels up in a median. The hitch seemed quite capable of keeping them togeather ! Oddly enough both the trailer & Blazer had 20 day plates -brand new !!! MikeD74T

/ What a Joke #10  
JerryG said:
Just got back from town buying some groceries. While there I saw a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 fender badges. The guy had a trailer with 8 round bales of hay which looked to be 4x5s. The rear bumper was almost on the ground. I kept thinking that something was going to pop at anytime. It was way over loaded. I don't understand people trying to do things with a pickup that they clearly wasn't designed for. Maybe the guy believed the commercial.

That has less to do with the truck but more with the trailer, weight dist., and the loading technique. It would put any truck on the ground if loaded improperly. The guy I sold my last boat to had his 3/4 ton Suburban on the ground the same way. He headed out on a 100 mile trip home. He said he would never do that again in a follow up call. He could not figure it out, he said he pulled way more than that with that truck before. When I asked him what he had been pulling he said a backhoe on trailer. The difference was he could put the backhoe where he wanted on the trailer. With the boat you are stuck with whats there for the most part.

Chris