Ford's Ecoboost engine technology

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
The following is an email conversation I had with a friend of mine concerning Ford's Ecoboost direct injection turbocharged gas engines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find even more interesting is how this may play out further in the large pickup segment. On the Tractor By Net forum I read, there have been threads about the current crop of Cummins, Powerstroke, and Duramax diesels getting mileage that is little better than my V-10 gasser, and in rare cases worse. I average 13.5 MPG. The diesels mileage has dropped significantly due to stricter emissions controls.

I've noticed more V-10's on the road the past couple of years since the stringent diesel emissions went into effect. Now if Ford applies Ecoboost to their Triton V-8 & V-10 modular engine line, the mileage and performance could increase further and make a diesel pickup even less attractive, except to those who truly need diesel torque and durability. There's enough room under the hood of my truck that I often wondered if Ford had a V-12 on the drawing board; but shelved it due to mileage issues. However, I think the engine setback was also done in an effort to improve handling.

When I ordered my truck in 1999, I looked at the 7.3 liter Powerstroke diesel, and although I could have afforded one, I couldn't justify the $3,500 cost of the diesel. The V-10 was $350 extra, and it provides all the power I need. Also the Ford diesel has two batteries, and takes 14-quarts of oil. The new 6.4 liter Powerstroke takes 16-quarts of oil. Oil changes for the diesel at the Ford dealership are 3x to 4x what they are for my V-10. As I understand it, the diesels in current pickups are now a $7,000+/- option, and the Ford V-10 is around $700.

MJN

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Big advance in engine design
Hi All,

This link takes you to a Ford Motor Co. press release on their new direct injection gasoline engines. Present fuel injection sprays fuel in the intake manifold upstream of the intake valve. With direct injection gasoline is sprayed into the combustion chamber, as in diesels. Both horsepower and fuel economy are improved.

Ongoing research work explained elsewhere on the Ford site includes controlling intake and exhaust valves such that no throttle plate is needed to control engine speed. This eliminated pumping losses, the work the engine does that produces manifold vacuum. The would make a gasoline engine even more similar to a diesel.

Hopefully Ford has this on the 2008 auto show circuit.

Shortcut to:
[URL="http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display_foriframe.cfm?release=27455"]http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display_foriframe.cfm?release=27455[/URL]

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #2  
Great Link, Thanks

Bruce

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #3  
Looks like my new 2008 V-10 with 6 speed manual is going to average in the low 13 range in mileage.

I paid 258 bucks for the V-10.

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #4  
Thanks for posting that. I actually worked on development of the fuel injection pump for that type of system back in the late 70's. At the time, it was called "PROCO".

We had challenges due to the very tight clearances required to keep the pump alive due to the low lubricity of gasoline, and the company that employed me lost the development contract in early 1980.

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #5  
I have a 2006 6.0 Ford.
The very best mileage I can get it 16.0 MPG. I had an 2004 6.0 that did 19 MPH all the time.
The 2004 had an Edge chip, the 2006 has a Superchip.
The chip is set to ecomony and the MPG is still terrible.
Am I expecting something that is un realistic?
If I got 20 I would be a happy camper.
These are interstate miles, never over 72 MPH.
What is normal for a 6.0?

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #6  
It takes fuel to make horsepower. The 6.0 in stock form makes 325hp. If you had a '90 Non-turbo 7.3 diesel w/6sp trans you could easyily get 20 mpg. Only problem is it made about half the horsepower of your engine. Very reliable but low power engines. Feel lucky to get 16mpg. The emissions on the new engines have lowered the mileage on all brands.

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #7  
This is just hearsay. When I was in the market for a new truck I talked to a guy with a 6.0 L Ford. He said he got better mileage with his previous, 7.3L, Ford diesel. I don't know if it is true.

I get a little under 16 with my '05 6.0L F250 according to the computer. I have never calculated it myself.

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #8  
I've heard the same thing from a number of people. The 7.3's apparently got very good mileage. Met someone with an Excursion 7.3 diesel who claimed to get 20-21mpg in his usual rural driving. (I do have a slightly hard time believing that, but that's what he said.) Jesse makes a good point about the relative hp though.

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #9  
I agree it takes fuel to make HP but what you guys are missing is what makes the best mileage is making torque at your cruise speed. That means matching the engine, tranny, gears, and tire size. My 2 6.0L's get 4 mpg better than my 7.3L yet they have over 125 HP more in the form I have them.

Chris

/ Ford's Ecoboost engine technology #10  
My 7.3's got lower fuel mileage around town & towing making 235HP or 250 HP than my Dmax gets with 360HP. Similar weights & driving conditions.

Today's diesel engines are more fuel efficient with multiple injection events & better electronics.