Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520

Default What type of brake controller to buy?

Is there a big difference between the proportional and the time delayed brake controller systems? I will be using my trailer about a twenty times a year to move my tractor haul lumber etc. Any one brand that I need to stay away from?

Thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 110TLB

Default Re: What type of brake controller to buy?

I just purchased a Prodigy 3 it is awsome, well worth the money. I shopped the local supply places, nobody had one .
    Ended up purchasing from Auto Accessories out of OHIO,$127.00 2 day ship. You can buya spare harness for multiple vehicles plus see if your trailer brakes our working with the cool display.

Macdabs

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

Mine is a prius. works great.
    Dirty Deeds
    Bx23, 60"MMM, Woods Toothbar, 60" RB, weights
    00 GMC 3500HD 6.5TD Dump Crew Cab "one ugly orange truck"

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I have a Reece tow power in one truck and the other 2 trucks have the Ford factory trailer brake controller. The Reece is ok, but no prodigy. The Ford factory is by far the best I have used in my 20 years of pulling.

Chris

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

TheTekonsha Prodigy is the best brake controller I have ever used. A few friends haul gooseneck campers and trailers with them and the auto adjustability is great.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tooo many to list!!

Quote Originally Posted by T185
    Is there a big difference between the proportional and the time delayed brake controller systems? I will be using my trailer about a twenty times a year to move my tractor haul lumber etc. Any one brand that I need to stay away from?

Thanks
    Without being specific to a brand, the proportional by design is a much better system. The time delayed can best be described as an uneducated guess under most normal braking situations. Sorry if that sounded like it came from a lawyers mouth!

A brake controler is one area where I would not skimp a dime. I have a Tekonsha Voyager, or how ever it's spelled, but should upgrade to a Prodigy. I think I made a mistake when I took it out of the truck I traded..... I could have left it in there and told my wife I needed a new one!!

From how I understand it, the time delay doesn't really look at the deceleration rate of the tow vehicle and in a panic stop, can leave you in for a wild ride!

There is another brand that I can not think of that is actually cable operated from the brake pedal. I've heard this is the best model out there but very expensive and can't go from vehicle to vehicle easily.

I can not speak form first hand experiece, but my next controller WILL BE a Prodigy!

I will only add that for 20 times a year, I'd get a good one!
    Ken

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tooo many to list!!

Did a quick look on the Tekonsha site and it seems they now have a model higher that the Prodigy. Now they have a P3 out that is supposed to be an updated version of the Prodigy...............

You can set it up for three different languages but english would be just fine for me.

Wonder in what other ways it is "better" than the standard Prodigy??

Ken

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

I currently own a prodigy and love it. Before this one I had a time based unit. I hated the timed unit because if you set the gain level to the proper level, the trailer brakes would be stop you too soon even with very light pressure on the brake pedal. The trailer brakes would work anytime the brake lights came on. Too often the light would turn yellow and I would want to make a smooth approach to the light but would have to pulse my brakes so that I wouldn't stop too soon. It would feel like I got rear ended everytime I let my foot off the brakes as the trailer brakes immediately shut off. The only solution was to back off the gain but then in an emergency, your trailer brakes were set to a reduced level. Not an option for me. Spring for the prodigy or the newer model and feel good knowing that you have the safest braking system unless you want to build up your neck muscles from the constant whiplash .

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520 w/ 300CX

I have the Tekonsha P3 and it is just awesome. Can't say enough good things about it, and like MACDABS, I got mine for the same deal at Automotive Accessories.

-Jeff

Tractor
    Kubota B7510

Tekonsha Voyager. SMOOTH!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast