Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today

/ Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today #1  

rimshot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510 HST
Just completed my tractor package today by capping it off with a trailer to give my tractor a lift between properties I own. The CK20 is coming with a FEL and Backhoe + a 60" snow blower. I don't believe I will haul everything at one time. In the summer that backhoe will be on while the blower gets a break. Winter time and of course it's time to drop the hoe and grab the blower. The CK20 S hst reportedly comes in at 2100 lbs and will have filled rears which should add pretty close to 400 -500 lbs I believe. back hoe and FEL will be another 1600 lbs for a total of maybe 4200 lbs (subtract 600 lbs if bhoe is off and blower is on). Now, add 1800 lbs of trailer and the GVW is 6000 lbs. That should work considering I'm getting a pair of 3500 lb axles to give the open flat top trailer with 15" bias ply tires a 7000 lbs GVWR.

I hope the 16' length of flat bed deck is manageable enough. It's like 7 1/2' wide between the low flat deck and about 8' to the outside of tires so it can clear a 9' door. Two side stowed beneath deck heavy duty 5 ' ramps. I can just get the rig in my garage for winter storage and likely will not have any one way trips longer than 10 miles. The trailer is by U.S. Cargo and is also a Forest River Company. The salesman told me the axles were American made. I hope I can find a cheap steeltool box to bolt on the hitch so I can lock up binders and chain. I will also be hunting a used 15" car rim and tire that will fit so I have a spare. I paid $1800.The trailer should work for me and my rig. When Saturday comes I will be getting that new Kioti. Then I will have it all. We still have three feet of snow around so it't going to stay clean for a while ....but not for long.

rim

/ Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today #2  
You'll be fine with that trailer, although you can't really go any smaller than what you've got. I haul my CK20 on the same size trailer, and I use up purt'near every inch of the trailer deck. What are you pulling it with?

/ Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today
Hi Hosejockey,

Thanks for stopping by. This trailer has plenty of 2x4 steel steak pockets to hook a 5/16" grab hook and maybe give it a wrap before returning it to the tractor. It's actually a flat (no beaver tail) wood deck and they call it a carhauler. Heavy steel ramps slide in under the deck from side. How does you ck go up the ramp? Does a five foot ramp get it up there w/o bottoming out the bottom of the hoe.

I'm towing this rig with a 2007 Ford F-150 4X4 w/trailer package,automatic and small v8 3.55 gears for rear end. You know the trailer is back there and I won't know how it handles the tracto until after this weekend when I get it the day after tomorrow.

I bought from Harbor freigh two lengths of 5/16" X 20' schedule 70 chain with grab hooks either end. I'm thinking that I can basically cut those 20 footers in two then basically cut em again and install another grab hook so that each chain has a grab hook on one end. Then i'll basically take a short piece and run it from tractor hoping to be able to catch an axle or frame member and get raw chain members pointed at one another connected by a 3/8 binder.one at each corner.

On that 16' trailer, I'm wondering how you get the load distributed, does it work out so you think there is enough weight on hitch considering we do not get that much wiggle back and forth room?

Any comments?

rimshot

/ Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today #4  
You will run into problems with this truck being that it has the small V8 and 3.55's. I am a big Ford fan, own 4 currently, one being a 2007 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 with the 5.4 and 3.73 gears. It has a 9,300# tow rating. I looked up your truck and its max tow rating is quite a bit lower. 6,400# and as low as 6,100# depending on the bed/cab configuration. Again its your engine/rear end ratio hurts your truck. You will be over the legal tow limit with that trailer.

Will you get caught? Probably not. But if you get pulled over by a sharp officer he will see your trailer is rated for 7,000#, over you rating, and ticket you. Remember, its what the trailer is capable of towing, not what you have on it.

Chris

/ Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today #5  
If the truck is rated to tow 6100 to 6400 pounds and the rig itself is 6000, you're probably over the limit when you figure the weight of the trailer. Might be even more of a problem if the Combined Weight Rating is less than your truck, trailer and tractor combined. That puts a lot of stress on the transmission. It'll run hotter than normal and if you try and tackle a mountain pass, you could do some serious damage in one trip depending on how long you've got the throttle floored. Wouldn't do the engine any good either. If you stick to short, flat towing though it might be ok. The fewer trips you take the better too. I've never towed anything that heavy and the first time I did, I'd take it real easy. Make sure the trailer brakes are working as well as possible. Stick to streets without a lot of traffic and see how it handles. Practice everything at low speed so if anything goes horribly wrong, you can keep the collateral damage to a minimum. Go slow, leave like 4 to 5 seconds of space between you and whatever you're following and practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

Well, I tried to be legal. It was the thought that counted.

OK, I checked the window sticker for the truck that I had kept with the owner's manual. Turns out my axle ratio is 3.73 and is equipped with trailer package which gives my rig max trailer weight @ 6700 if I am reading it right according to page 227 of the 2007 Ford F-150 owners manual. You're saying even if my load does not exceed my max GVWR or maximum trailer weight rating I am still fair game for the weighmaster.

If I load my trailer with Tractor including FEL and BH and tire fill according to the dealer I'm probably tipping the scales @4500 lbs add my trailer this should weigh in at 1800 and that should scale at 6300 lbs for trailer bilt for 7000 and being aware of that fact I won't include a pallot of concrete blocks. In actual weight, If I keep the kitchen sink and all and I am going to take this thing into the grain elevator for a weigh ticket when I get the chain binders included. I spose it will even weigh less but I'll find out. But the fact remains I am still pulling a trailer that is not overweight but is rated so my GCWR could the trucks rating (even though it isn't)

So I can get a ticket for what My trailer says I could reasonably haul even though I'm not hauling it. I don't think there was any other choice that I had regarding the right trailer. There are no 6700 lb weight rated trailer packages that I located at the trailer sales. From a safety standard, none of the single axle trailers made any sense and there were no 6000 lb duals what so ever and had I chose one..........well, that wouldn't have worked either.

There are definitely times when an officer has to give way to the spirit of the law rather than the letter even though you are right (taking you at your word) technically. In this case I guess I would have to go before the judge and say I am guilty but I didn't do it.

I say all this in gest because they have to have rules and this doesn't make the grade. Good thing I did not buy the 9990 pounder they were trying to sell me.

rim

Hi Mr. jimi, you just posted this:

<<RimShot, take a look at this chart

2007 Ford F150 Technical Specifications

=======================

You have just given me a reprieve. I don't need Johnny Cochrane after all. According to that chart I'm rated for 7100 lbs. That makes my rig legal. Funny thing, every chart I read including the sticker on the door reads a different figure. I might need to subpoena you to court now. Now see what you've gone and done. (big grin)

Now that the figures are in my favor. No need to research any further. spared by a technicality.

I have flat country around here with one exception and I can drive around that hill so as to spare my tranny. No trips beyond 10miles and I have a tranny cooler with the trailer package.

rimshot (is better than OJ at beating the wrap)

/ Bought a trailer for my Kiota ck20 today #9  
I don't think you are reading the chart right. The max for a 4x4 with your engine and rear end is 6,900# and the low end is 6,500# It all depends on your cab/bed configuration. I think the 7,100# you are looking at is for a 2 wheel drive regular cab.

Like I said before, you chance of getting caught is slim and none but it is a possibility. Towing is the real killer of the small V8.

Chris

Diamondpilot said:
I don't think you are reading the chart right. The max for a 4x4 with your engine and rear end is 6,900# and the low end is 6,500# It all depends on your cab/bed configuration. I think the 7,100# you are looking at is for a 2 wheel drive regular cab.
=================================

Party Pooper! :D

rim (no more weasel room for me)