gooseneck hitch pricing

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #1  

RancherSam

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH JX95 4x4
hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a gooseneck hitch installed. I contacted the local dealer and they want $699 for a b&w flip over ball deal installed. Does this sound reasonable? and they gave me the option between a 6 plug and a 7. I think I'll go with the 7, I don't have the trailer yet, but it's going to be newish so I figured safer to go with the 7.

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #2  
That is high. I just put a B W hitch in my neighbors 2007 1 ton GM with a Duramax. It cost me $300 to my door and took about a hour an half to put in. Would have only taken 45 minutes but I wanted to be sure my measurements right at least 10 times. Anyway it went right in and the only special tool needed is the proper size hole-saw, I think it was 4"

The B W is the only way to go in my opinion. Nice powder coated finish and super strong design.

If your truck has the wiring at the rear bumper like his does we did not bother putting a plug in the bed. Just plug it in the back.

Here is a link. This one is for a Ford but he has them all at the same price.
eBay Motors: B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch Ford Super Duty 99-08 (item 150213576563 end time Feb-16-08 05:41:05 PST)
Chris

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #3  
I also installed my B&W hitch in my 07 3500HD. Once you get past drilling that 4" hole in the bed it was a piece of cake.

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #4  
RancherSam said:
hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a gooseneck hitch installed. I contacted the local dealer and they want $699 for a b&w flip over ball deal installed. Does this sound reasonable? and they gave me the option between a 6 plug and a 7. I think I'll go with the 7, I don't have the trailer yet, but it's going to be newish so I figured safer to go with the 7.

Last one I had installed was $429 including 7-pin plug inside of the bed.

You can get an adapter to make your 7-pin work with a 6-pin trailer. 6-pin female plug won't adapt to 7-pin. I'd go with the 7-pin. Almost all new trailers above 10,000gvwr will come with 7-pin these days.

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #5  
I've had two B&W hitches and wouldn't even think of a different brand. I have the fifth wheel companion too and like it very much. My only complaint ever would be what they call powder coating on my first hitch, I wouldn't have even called bad paint because that would have been a complement!

As far as getting a hitch installed, I have no idea what the price should be but the dealer is going to be a little higher on the hitch and wiring than the cheapest price you can find on line, and the rest should be his labor charge x how long he is going to spend to do it.

I would get a few local prices and go from there.

If it was me, I would be WAY more worried about who was going to take a 4" hole saw to my truck, that what they were going to charge me to do it. That's one of the reasons I did my own!! I put the hole where is belongs and tightened all of the hardware to the proper torque specs.

Ken

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #6  
Pricing for a GN hitch (installed) like this is around $650-$750 in my area. So that sounds about right. Some installers are fussier than others when it comes to the big hole. Some will cut a nice neat clean piece out that could, theoretically, be stitched back in later.

Also if you have a bed liner, they may charge extra for messing around with that.

~Paul

Oh, and of course brake controllers, etc are extra.

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #7  
I installed a B & W in my 05 F350 and its not that hard to do. Just get the measurements right and have at it. The only special tool needed is a 4" hole saw. I paid around $380 for it I think.

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #9  
I bought a B&W on Ebay as well and installed it myself. Like TomK stated once you get past drilling the 4 inch hole in the bed it is easy. Remember the old saying measure twice cut once.. I think I measured aobut 5 times because I knew there was only one chance and a new pickup bed is expensive. All in all the install was VERY easy. My local dealer wanted $699 to install a gooseneck hitch has well couldn't see paying someone to do what I could just as easy as them.

/ gooseneck hitch pricing #10  
B&W installed in Central IL is $495. I went with the old fashioned screw-in ball for $240 installed.