What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #1  

MrJimi

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Case 1845 C Skid steer
I'm trying to get one set up and I have always heard that 16" to 18" is a good height to the top of the ball and a little higher is ok.
Thanks
Jim
:)

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #2  
That sounds about right.

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #3  
Both of mine are at 16". However, I cannot tell you if I am average.

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch
After reading this thread, I'm wondering how many of us are measuring our shins with a tape measure right now :D

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #5  
MrJimi said:
little higher is ok.
Jim
This could depend on what your towing, and what your towing it with. In the case of the short small flat bed trailers, that I have, higher will likely not give me enough tongue weight, causing a dangerous condition. However, with a longer heavy trailer, it could be good, if it would keep the tongue from being too heavy. (Too heavy would be tougher to do if your going to tow with a dulley).
So, to that part I can answer, maybe.
You want your loaded trailer to be fairly level with the slightly more of the weight to be on the front half. If you have never pulled a trailer that is not properly balanced, it can be an experience.
I would start by measuring the height on the trailer I wanted to tow.

This is the front of my 14K trailer and I know that not all of you have this option but I can put ball coupler in a few different places

24370Feb_6_2008_3_trailer_front-med.JPG

and this is the coupler
24370Feb_6_2008_5_coupler-med.JPG

and the rating
24370Feb_6_2008_4_coupler_rating-med.JPG

Jim

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #7  
I would hate to state an average. I towed travel trailers for 10 years and have always read that you adjust the height to your trailer frame when level. If the trailer is pitched up or down it will increase braking distances. Every trailer is a little different based on axles, wheels and frame geometry. Tongue weight would only come into play if you don't have a weight distribution hitch and then I would adjust the height to be level with the loaded trailer . Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the total loaded trailer weight.

Mrjimi,
I could measure the grease stain on most of my pants but would have to factor in if I had my belt tight enough at the time. :)

After seeing your setup I would think it wouldn't matter since you can adjust the trailer. If you have a second trailer then set it for the proper height for it and then adjust the 14K trailer to match. If you don't tow anything else, set it high so it doesn't drag in steep drives.

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #8  
Mr JIMI

In my marine business we run across this a lot. People buy a boat and want to know what drop or rise to buy so when they pick up the boat they will have it right. I tell them to get a set up that will put the top of the ball 20" from the pavement. This is a good starting place.

Now this is usually a guy with a trailblazer or something similar and it will sag with a 5000# boat on the back. Your big 550 will not squat nearly as much so anywhere between 18-20 should be fine.

Chris

Diamondpilot said:
Mr JIMI

In my marine business we run across this a lot. People buy a boat and want to know what drop or rise to buy so when they pick up the boat they will have it right. I tell them to get a set up that will put the top of the ball 20" from the pavement. This is a good starting place.

Now this is usually a guy with a trailblazer or something similar and it will sag with a 5000# boat on the back. Your big 550 will not squat nearly as much so anywhere between 18-20 should be fine.

Chris

My F-550 has 11 leaf springs per side, I think the only thing that would move it lower is if I could put my 6,500 pound Case SS on the back :D
And I could live with 18/20 inches for height

/ What is the average ball height on a 2" receiver type of hitch #10  
Wow, an adjustable coupler is a dream come true. It would be tough to go wrong with that.